• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Recycle Bin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john3voltas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nokia 6630 here.
Installed as per wiki instructions through Nokia PC Suite with the needed directory structure created an all the read access to allow allways.
I am not using map or atlas yet because I don't really need it.
I am a mapper on OSM, I have tried TB one year ago, currently using nmea-info.py and all I want is to try the new TB gpx tracking code from the latest betas.
It all starts okay and I get a GPS fix in a couple of minutes with my old Zaapa (Sony chip) BT gps receiver.
Then I leave it capturing a gpx log with the standard settings 60/-1 for approx. 15 minutes while I drive my car.
When I finally take a look at it, it says Memory Full, the phone is unresponsive and after a couple of key presses TB exits by itself.
1 year ago TB didn't do this.
Using Taskspy I noticed that my phone usually reports 7084KB free RAM and that as soon as I run TB taskspy reports 2672KB free RAM.
Then it starts reporting less and less RAM minute by minute until eventually it reaches 500KB.
By then, the phone tends to exit TB or to crash and reboot, only because of grabbing gpx data...
Looks like a memory leak to me but I'm not an expert.
Not saying it is on trekbuddy itself, it could be the phone's java framework or something similar.
I'll see if I get some time to test older releases of TB just to check if I can replicate the issue on older code.
Cheers

PS: sorry for such a long post but I'm in -verbose mode lol
smsm1986

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the same happen with NMEA track log recording?

I too am from OSM and use a Sony Ericsson K750i, using the NMEA output. That way if my phone stops responding and I have to reboot it, I can easily cat the logs together. I have a script that converts the NMEA files to GPX and compressed GPX.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
krzyk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kruch, SPAM, new versions appear faster than bread in the bakery Wink That's just amazing.

I have one query regarding non-SirfStar chipsets (i.e. MKT) that go edgy when receiver does not travel with speed >4km/h (AFAIK). When the velocity is low, no bearing is provided, therefore for example I have absolutely no idea in which direction I am walking when I'm in the mountains or in the forest.

Would that be difficult to implement a feature to ignore the "zero" bearing provided by the receiver when the traveling speed is too low and calculate it manually in such conditions? I know that receiver generally "floats" more or less, but you could interpolate the bearing based on a couple of recent calculations to minimize this effect. This should be more useful than having no bearing at all while walking.

Let me know what you think about it.

Cheers,
Krzyk
john3voltas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished testing 0.9.70 and this one doesn't crash/reboot the phone and free RAM stays close to 2700KB even while grabbing gpx data with dt/ds 60/-1.
This means there's something wrong with 0.9.76 and Nokia 6630 (and possibly other phones).
Just remember, I'm not saying that it is Trekbuddy.jar that's eating up the memory even because I think it doesn't use more than 500KB.
But nevertheless free RAM drops drastically in a matter of minutes.

smsm1986 wrote:
Does the same happen with NMEA track log recording?

I too am from OSM and use a Sony Ericsson K750i, using the NMEA output. That way if my phone stops responding and I have to reboot it, I can easily cat the logs together. I have a script that converts the NMEA files to GPX and compressed GPX.

Hi there,
K750i, huh? Great phone! I wish I had one of those myself for TB.
Now why would you grab NMEA data instead of GPX data?
For OSM? JOSM uses GPX not NMEA.
Happy OSMing Wink.
Cheers

john3voltas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

== Update ==
I have tested 0.9.72 and apparently there are memory issues with it too.
I guess I'll have to download a 0.9.60 or something to test older releases until I find one that works.
Again, I emphasize that I am not using any atlas or maps.
All I'm interested (for now) is to grab GPX logs and have a nice CMS.
A couple of questions to the developers:
1-Any chance TB can disable my phone's auto keypad lock? I use Autolock for keypad locking (6630 doesn't come with that feature out-of-the-box) and it is very annoying having to disable it prior to using TB.
2-Any chance TB can disable my phone's auto lcd spleep?
I can't figure out how to convince my phone not to turn off it's lcd screen back-light AND not to go into screensaver.
3-Where is the S60 renderer option? It used to be in the settings but I can't find it any more.
Not that I'm needing it right now but I think I'll need it in the near future.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

smsm1986

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john3voltas wrote:

K750i, huh? Great phone! I wish I had one of those myself for TB.
Now why would you grab NMEA data instead of GPX data?
For OSM? JOSM uses GPX not NMEA.
Happy OSMing Wink.
Cheers

It's not as good as I'd hope it would be, so when I have enough money I want to upgrade it. SMS memory is kinda small. It doesn't have a decent enough camera, and it isn't too great for multitasking, though I should probably not expect as much from a small device.

I use NMEA, because it is more reliable. I have found one of the waypoint files to not have the closing </gpx> which had to be manually added. I don't want to have to do that on all my tracklogs. I am processing them to compress them before upload to OSM, or loading into JOSM, therefore one extra step doesn't cause me any problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
berda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buka wrote:
Environment: Samsung SGH-i600, WM6, IBM Java j9
Version 9.73 does not saves waypoints to file.
Regardless of mode <Record current> / <Enter custom>
with or wihtout tracking.
The file eg. 'wmap-2008-01-29-22-54-26.gpx' is created when first waypoint is recorded
The times of creation and modification are the same, file is empty (zero length)TB was exited propperly.

I have to join to buka and report the same bug on HTC Kaiser (WM6, J9; trekbuddy-j9.jar) and Sony Ericsson W300i (trekbuddy.jar): new TB works fine but saving the waypoints, that is the big issue now. I can make a new one (Enter custom) and everything works fine untill I close the application, I can find an use this wpt in waypoints-><wmap>. But if i close TB, it makes a file (something like wmap-2008-02-10-01-02-03.gpx) which is empty. After restarting the application TB and trying to open that file write "No waypoints found in..." Where is the problem, kruch, don't you know, please?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in 0.9.73 Reply with quote

Hi there,

first of all, many thanks for such a great program! A friend of mine recently introduced my to geocaching and TB has quickly become my app of choice, using versions 0.9.69 up to .72 just fine. Smile

Anyway, now with 0.6.73 I experience the following:
- start TB (loading my default atlas I used all the time)
- Waypoints -> Enter Custom (any coordinates will do) -> Persist
- Waypoints -> NavigateT new custom waypoint
- Waypoints -> Enter Custom (any coordinates will do) -> Persist
- Waypoints -> NavigateT new custom waypoint
-> _RENDER FAILURE_: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException, reoccurring every time I move on the map until I restart TB.

This doesn't happen when I use waypoints I previously saved, and the resulting new wmap file seems to be well-formed.

Platform: SonyEricssonK810i/R6BC002 using the HGE-100 as GPSr.

If there is any further information you need I'll happily provide it.

Cheers,
fernstel
berda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I discovered this bug too, but there is an easy solution: you have to stop "navigate to" process (waypoints->stop) before you try to add a new waypoint. After that everything works fine without any failure.
matts1972

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: BlackBerry OTA download here Reply with quote

Hi all,

I put .jad-files for an OTA install with BlackBerry on my site. Just point your BlackBerry to:

http://motp.sf.net/tb73os42.jad for OS 4.2
or
http://motp.sf.net/tb73os41.jad for OS 4.1

and you will not have to use BlackBerry Desktop for an offline install.

Cheers
Matthias
smsm1986

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: zero byte files Reply with quote

When TrekBuddy cannot get ahold of the GPS, it creates files of zero length. In twenty minutes it can create 240 of them! Why can't TrekBuddy not generate these files?
john3voltas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still regarding the Nokia 6630 issue, I think I found what was wrong.
I just still need to test it more thoroughly.
I've been installing TB into my memory card.
This time around I installed it into my phone's memory and so far so good.
But I still haven't tested grabbing gpx logs with it this way and I still need to test if I can keep the Data Dir on the memory card.
I'll let you know when I get more info.
A big thanks to Kruch for such a nice tool.
Cheers

kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@krzyk own calculation of speed and course for low speed is planned

@sms1986 I thought that many-empty-files issue has been solved; sorry, I'll check it

all check all other issues as well Wink
bkos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer versions wont work with my sxg75. I have fw26.
The version that works for me is 68.
72 and 73 definately do not. They simply won't start.
After launching the app I get a blank screen for about 1 sec, then it goes back to the menu.
Am I doing something wrong?
Jakob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem, on my sxg75.
It was resolved by completely uninstalling old versions,
then install 0.9.73 from scratch.
Not the most convenient way, but at least it solved the problem.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Recycle Bin All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: