• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.
Trekbuddy is on Github now

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Black squares instead of map tiles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plutocrat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Black squares instead of map tiles Reply with quote

Hi,
Strange problem this one. I built my own OSM tileserver and use Mobile Atlas Creator to build map files for my area (this is so that I can get more detailed maps, and don't run into bans/timeouts from third party map providers.

I downloaded the maps I produced to my two Android phones, both running the latest Trekbuddy. Initially both phones were showing the maps correctly. At some point, one of the phones stopped displaying the maps properly. Instead of most of the tiles, I'd see black squares with the tile reference number on it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aq7244lnwyoxl9q/2015-01-12_17-59-01.png?dl=0

This seems quite random. Some appear and some don't. I don't think the map is at fault as it works on my other phone, which is actually a worse phone. Both phones run the same version of Trekbuddy.

On the phone which isn't working, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it was still the same. I was looking for a cache directory to remove, in case there was a cache corruption issue, but couldn't find one. Any ideas?
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TB does not use any cache (at least intentionally).

The randomness of the issue could be cause by some synchronization issue. If it is the case it will be difficult for me to reproduce as I only have old Xperia mini which is a single core device. What is your device?

Did you notice any TB errors in the device log? (you can use application aLogCat for example to view the log)

I will add better logging of tile loading errors to TB; as of now, there are silently ignored, and unless the system logs something on its own, there is no way for a user to help me with detecting a problem... Sad
plutocrat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The problem seems to have resolved itself. I cleared Trekbuddy data, uninstalled Trekbuddy, deleted the app directory on the sdcard. Then reinstalled and created the directory again. I copied the maps into it once more and this time they show up.

Odd, and it probably doesn't help find the cause of the problem but at least I'm back in action!

For the record, it was an HTC Velocity/Holiday about 3 years old. Just wondering if the sdcard has some dodgy sectors perhaps. logcat is attached in case that helps.

Thanks!

trek.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  trek.txt
 Filesize:  16.79 KB
 Downloaded:  1 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: