• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Marine information over WiFi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JNT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Marine information over WiFi Reply with quote

Many modern marine instrument systems can send information over WiFi. There are apps for tablets and phones that can then display this information.

How much effort would it be to make this kind of functionality available in Trekbuddy?

I would like to be able to "read" and display information like DEPTH, SPEED (through the water), etc. that are available through NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 over WiFi.
Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember NMEA 2000 is standard to define marine instruments network, and WiFi version is probably just another way to send data from instruments via gateway.
Can you enumerate which exactly instruments would you connect (cause TB has gps nmea input only) ?
JNT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger wrote:
As I remember NMEA 2000 is standard to define marine instruments network, and WiFi version is probably just another way to send data from instruments via gateway.

I think you are correct. I do not (yet?) own any such instruments and have also just begun reading about them.

Ranger wrote:
Can you enumerate which exactly instruments would you connect (cause TB has gps nmea input only) ?

I suspect that the available data depends a lot on the specific installation, but personally I would want to have access to DEPTH, SPEED (through the water), WIND STRENGTH and WIND DIRECTION for starters.
I would guess that most installations would also give GPS data and could perhaps be used in Trekbuddy instead of the internal or an external bluetooth unit, but this is not my goal (at least not at the moment).
Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, what TB supports is visible on picture Smile

NMEA_2000_instruments_network_vs_TB.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.27 KB
 Viewed:  5211 Time(s)

NMEA_2000_instruments_network_vs_TB.png

JNT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, what I would really, REALLY like... Cool

NMEA.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.83 KB
 Viewed:  5189 Time(s)

NMEA.png

kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this NMEA-to-WIFI transmitter is then just an endpoint with IP address, correct? TB reads NMEA from a stream, it does not really matter if it is file, socket (TCP) or serialcomm stream.

With sample NMEA file, it would not be so difficult to write a simple transmitter emulator and enhance TB to understand those non-gps NMEA sentences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> WishList All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: