• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CAT B100

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: CAT B100 Reply with quote

Thanks to those who made TrekBuddy!!!

TrekBuddy works on CAT B100.

Interesting thing:
According TB Wiki JSR 179 is required.
According CAT homepage the phone has JSR 139, 118, 120, 135, 185, 211 and 75. JSR 179 is missing on the phone, according above info.

When the phone locks the keys, TB doesn't respond for a while. Pressing *-key for a minute may solve the issue. However pressing the red handset closes TB and is faster.

TB can't run in the background as on other phones.

If I understood correctly, Key 7 should change maps. This is not working.

CMS files size 240x320 can be used but there is a small menue-bar on top and buttom of the display so thoses CMS are not shown entirely. I delete the CMS files I had tested. I had the feeling it really slows down the application.

TB is an excellent alternative for those who want to use the device without internet connections and those who don't want to use the included Google Maps.

Copying a large not-tared atlas to the device stops at approx. 23000 files. Atlas with less files work well.
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for interesting news Smile

If you look at Info->Technical->JSR, is JSR179 listed there?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kruch"]If you look at [i]Info->Technical->JSR[/i], is JSR179 listed there?[/quote]

Yes

looks like this:

Jsr:
75 120 135 179

end quote

It doesn't list 139, 118, 185 and 211
Perhaps parts of the info on CAT Homepage is wrong.

http://catphones.com/phones/b100.aspx

Thanks for pointing me to Info ->Technical.

Under Desktop I find the display size 240x278

Any idea how to wake up the device, once the keys are locked? If I just have TB running and do nothing on the phone, it goes asleep and I can't wake it up in all cases. Pressing *-key for long time doesn't do the job, always. I need to shut down TB and restart TB, then.
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TB does not check and/or display presence of basic JSRs or those it does not use.

Maybe you could get more display lines for CMS using TB in fullscreen (Settings->Desktop->fullscreen)? It is true that CMS may slow down the app, depends on its complexity.

The reason for TB being unresponsive after wake up could be buffered (location) events, if TB wakes up or not, does it depend on how long the phone was asleep?
Also, on some phones it is possible to allow an app to run in background. eg. by attribute in jar's META-INF etc...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kruch"]

1. It is true that CMS may slow down the app, depends on its complexity.

2. does it depend on how long the phone was asleep?

3. Also, on some phones it is possible to allow an app to run in background. eg. by attribute in jar's META-INF etc...[/quote]

1. Thanks! Do you have a link to an existing CMS, that does two things:
a) show current location, destination location, distance between both
b) show how many satelites are available and how good is the signal

Can I switch between two CMS? Can I turn off CMS without deleting the files, when I don't need CMS?

2. YES and if it was too long it doesn't wake up.

3. do I configure this on the phone or in TB? Any disadvantages if I configure to run in background?
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I hope someone will direct you to a simple CMS, there are many, and ripping out unneeded info is not difficult...
CMS does not consumes resources (CPU etc) if it is not shown and has no hecl scripting. For the info you are after, scripting is not needed.

2. I will try to realize what could be exactly going on your phone, it really sounds events buffering problem...

3. background should be safe (and solve issue #2), but such attributes are vendor specific, and may not even be even supported on CAT device. I do not know how to find it out... Eg. for Motorola (java) phones, attribute Background: True had to be added to JAD file, on LGs LGE-MIDlet-Allowed-background: YES goes to MANIFEST.MF in the jar file, and so on. CAT does not seem to have developer support forum to ask there...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again!

I have found the root cause for keys 7 and 9 not working and fixed it.
1. Set EasyZoom to layers
2. Create atlas with only one zoom level in a layer / add only one zoom level to a layer in the atlas / create a layer for each zoom level needed

The solution has been found in this forum.

key 3 requires "back light" turned on in the Java Options of the phone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kruch"]CAT does not seem to have developer support forum to ask there...[/quote]nope
All I found is the contact form on their homepage and their link to facebook and twitter. I have no access to either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by guest on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kruch"]1. I hope someone will direct you to a simple CMS, there are many, and ripping out unneeded info is not difficult....[/quote]

I found what I needed by myself, now.

Why don't you put a link to http://www.trekbuddy.net/wiki/index.php?title=CMS_Gallery as sticky to the Themes topic?

This would be of great help for Newcomers. The Wiki was really helpfull.

Last edited by guest on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution for sleeping TB found.

The short story is:
The trigger is a Java-Setting of the phone. It's named "Java-Hintergrundbeleuchtung" (translation = JAVA-backlight) and must be set to ON.

the long story:
After I had installed a CMS, I found that TB isn't going asleep, while the device was untouched for 30 minutes or more.

So I deleted the files for the CMS, to see if it was the trigger. It was not and I started undoing all the changes I had made during the day and finally found the trigger. In addition I found TB is faster if: settings -> desktop -> OSD
OSD extended = unchecked
OSD scale = unchecked
OSD no background = unchecked

The other options for OSD are ON. I didn't test of any of the above options is the trigger or if all together cause Tb being slower.
matjazz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input about the phone. Seems to be very much like Samsung B2710.
I recommend 240x270 Digiblue CMS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a really hard time finding the right settings so that it would pick up a GPS signal. What I found worked was:

For the GPS settings on the phone:
Receiver On
Time Sync On
AGPS On

In the options for the TrekBuddy app, I set everything that could be set to Allow, to allow, and the rest to Prompt at first (saves you from answering questions in TrekBuddy all the time when it tries to write out data).

The Java Settings has backlight and vibration set to On.

In TrekBuddy for Settings>Basic, I set the Data Dir to.

file:///E:/TrekBuddy

This is where I have TrekBuddy installed, which is on my SD card...since this phone has almost no internal storage. :)

For the Location Settings in TrekBuddy,

Provider = Interal

assited GPS = Off
time fix = Off

I set Power Usage to Medium, but High works too. Haven't compared the two properly.

This seems to work for me. Now I can lock the keyboard, and take it with me windsurfing. javascript:emoticon(':P')

:P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested it a bit more, and it seems the GPS in the Cat B100 is not all that accurate.

I set the power usage to high, as it was a bit uneven when I tested it yesterday, then went for a run with my Nexus 5 on one arm and Cat B100 on the other. The Nexus said I ran 5.5km, while the Cat had me at near 6.5km. I imported the GPX file from the Cat into Endomondo, and looking at the track, I can see where it got the extra kilometer. When I took a U turn, around an aprox. 40m wide parking lot, the Cat track is ziczacking all over the place, adding several hundred meters to my distance. And at the very end, it added about 0.5km, while I was standing still and turning everything off.

The Nexus seems to have recorded 2 to 3 times as many track points, which probably helps with accuracy.

Maybe turning on assisted GPS would increase the accuracy, and lower the GPX dt (s) which was at the default value of 60 seconds. The cat was quite accurate when I was running in open areas of the park I ran through, but less so when near 10m high buildings.

All in all, this is pretty good news for me, as TrekBuddy seems to be the only working solution I've found so far for using the GPS tracking with my Cat phone. I'm looking forward to take it with me windsurfing on the next windy day. :)
matjazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Gsmarena it has Mediatek MT6276W chipset Sad
I'm not buying another mediatek phone.
Oh and AFAIK asisted GPS helps to lock your position faster and doesn't improve accuracy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: