• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TB vs Samsung phones
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: TB vs Samsung phones Reply with quote

I'm quite confused about TB usability on Samsung (non-OS) devices.

The wiki list many Samsungs as if they were OK for TB, but there are lots of complaints here. Also, I have S5230 and U600 for testing and I can tell you it's horrible. I've spent a lot of time recently trying to solve BT GPS connection problem (TB becomes unusable when the connection on) - without success. Developer support from Samsung is poor. Google did not help either...

Can we collect reliable information here
- which Samsungs are really OK for TB
- which ones are not (with issue description)

I'm not tracking mobile phones markets, but if there are some popular mainstream phones on which TB runs badly, I'd like to try to fix it...
gisela

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: S8000 Jet Reply with quote

About Samsung S8000 Jet:
it works OK, with some issues:
1. I've tried to install many times to hide the buttons on the bottom of the screen, to remove TB and to reinstall, but I only succeeded once in hiding the buttons, with the line added to the jad-file, but it doesn't work anymore.
2. Hiding soft-keys results in a grey zone at the bottom.
3. Installing from jad doesn't work, you have to install the jar-file and then delete manifest.mf and some other files with TKexplorer (like described in wiki)
4. using full screen has strange effects, the whole screen is enlarged until the left menu button is pressed, then it shrinks again.
5. with the bottom buttons, the soft keys and the not-full screen trekbuddy only uses 540 pixels of the 800 there are on the screen (in height)
6. if TB doesn't find position, 'stop' doesn't work. To start over connecting the gps TB has to shut down first.
7. if following a route or navigating to a waypoint, then choosing 'stop' in the waypoint menu and choosing a new file, results in a shutdown. If I just choose another file and follow this route or navigate to a waypoint from the new file there is no problem.
8. if the connection with gps is lost, the 'status' stays green and there is no beep.
9. it calculates differently in hecl, it always rounds down.
10. It's very slow with loading maps and tiles, but I'm trying to find out why and what maps or atlasses work best.
10 because of the very small pixels on the screen, names of streets, areas etc. are barely readable but that's not TB's fault. I would be useful to have a zooming function to enlarge the map (like the bug when using full screen)
11. I don't know why, but TB says version "null" for some reason. I guess I did something wrong installing...

and some issues I also had with another phone with internal GPS:
1. dist-t is wrong, it seems to increase every second with dist-t.
2. spd-avg-auto is wrong, probably due to the dist-t-bug.
3. wpt-eta is wrong. Before it was calculated every 'location update' but now it stays the same for very long, and isn't even affected when changing between waypoints...
4. recording nmea-files is not possible
5. no sattelite info (but I don't mind a lot about that)

My conclusion: I bought this phone because of the large amoled screen: I'm very pleased with the amoled screen, it's a lot better readable outside than the TFT screen I had before. I'm not so pleased with the part of the screen used by TB.

I hope you can find a work around for the samsung issues!!
Celda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using TB on Samsung SGH D880 Duos (dualsim) for more than two years by now. Well, there are some issues and limitations for the device but if you know them and workaround them, all in all, it works fine:
- Tarred atlases work much faster than untarred, but "Settings - Misc - broken I-O" must be on for tarred atlases to work.
- It is good to optimize map slices for the native resolution of the display - i.e. 240 x 320 pixels (otherwise you often end with "Out of memory ..."), jpgs can be used instead of pngs.
- It is necessary to customize the crosshair to get its acceptable display (otherwise the default crosshair is not properly displayed) .
- Manual movement of the crosshair in a map is rather slow.
- Long-press functions mostly do not work (e.g. long press of 1 to get the last waypoints)
- Sometimes TB crashes - especially when you save a new custom waypoint.
- The maximum size of the memory card seems to be 2 GB and maximum number of files on it is about 4000 for the phone file manager to work correctly (God bless there are tarred maps !!) The path to the memory card is to be input in a non-standard way (e.g. file:///tflash/TBData/ )

See http://www.trekbuddy.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2256&highlight=d880 for more (Czech).

mobile: SAMSUNG SGH D880 Duos (dual SIM)
GPS: Qstarz BT-1200 Bluetooth Solar Travel Recorder (MTK chipset)
amartinb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Trekbuddy on Samsung Wave Reply with quote

I've been playing trekbuddy for two years in serverals Nokia phones. Just I love this program. Now I have a Samsung Wave phone with Bada S.O. The program woks fine. I use it in full Screen. My problem, for the moment, is that I can´t install from the jad (signed). The phone have de Thawte Premium server C.A. y Thawte code signing, but when you install from jad say: invalid file. I've tried installing with de web Explorer and says: CERTIFICATE ERROR, chain not found.
similas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Samsung SOLID E2370 Reply with quote

I have installed TB on SOLID E2370 w/o issues (lite version due to .jar size) using memory card but in spite of lack of errors during installation the program itself is almost unusable. At first - sometimes fucntion buttons get frozen - for example TB is asking about creation of data dir but you cannot either accept or cancel this action. You could only close program by pressing red button. Second thing is that there is no bluetooth GPS visible in program's menu (navibe gps device is properly detected by phone and it is authorized).

Has someone sucessfully using TB on E2370 phone? Due to it's great battery it could be really usefull...
JNT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Sumsung S8300 UltraTouch Reply with quote

I am using TB version 0.9.99 on my Sumsung S8300 UltraTouch and it works OK, but with some minor issues.

1. Cannot install with correct permissions. Always asks at startup for permission. This is not too bad, just takes longer to get it up and running.

2. Backlight stays on under most conditions. I have not figured out why and under which conditions it does go off. Not too bad, since I normally use it with a power cable.

3. Internal GPS does not give precision values. (Works very well with bluetooth GPS.)

4. Map size is the biggest issue, with out of memory errors with bigger maps. (Version 0.9.99 with the "lowmem I/O" option fixes it, but makes it slower to scroll) It is perfectly usable at sailing speeds even with high zoom maps.
Geographicus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, friends.

I have a Samsung Wave s8500 (Bada Operating System) and I'm new user of Trekbuddy. Actually I have not used it in a real navigation yet but I find too the issue of a little dark grey virtual keyboard at the bottom of the screen. Please, have you any solution to remove it? Whitout this keyboard all the screen would be available for maps and CMSs.

(There is a solution in this forum about the necessary installation in this phone from .jar and the resulting issue of repeated permissions requests when booting Trekbuddy. It can be fixed with Stune.exe. You can search in the forum the procedure.)

Here a picture with the virtual keys at the bottom:

Regards.
Geographicus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geographicus wrote:

I have a Samsung Wave s8500 (Bada Operating System) and I'm new user of Trekbuddy. Actually I have not used it in a real navigation yet but I find too the issue of a little dark grey virtual keyboard at the bottom of the screen. Please, have you any solution to remove it? Whitout this keyboard all the screen would be available for maps and CMSs.

Here a picture with the virtual keys at the bottom:

Well, I am just fixed the problem about the virtual keys. A kind participant in a Spanish forum about Samsung 8500 helped me with this. You must go in the phone to 'Games and more' icon (Java applications are here), click, and there open out the options (in the bottom), then click 'Use virtual keys' and finally uncheck Trekbuddy in the list that appears.

(Sorry if my explanation is not very clear, I'm not a good writer in English and the language in my phone is Spanish, so I have translated the labels/options).

Regards.
pitoz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been usiing TB with my M8800 Pixon
- fullscreen works with adding a line MIDlet-Touch-Support: True in jad file and it realy work, no soft keys
- i tried the voice navigation and it works just fine
- after some changes to phone setting is internal GPS really fast to locate satellites outdoor or in car behind front window
- similar problem with calculating distance and avg speed as it was mentioned in S8000 Jet
- some problems appears in versions 0.9.99 and 1.0.0 - application just doesnt work
- last fine workong version is 0.9.98
Kaffeesack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use trekbuddy on a Samsung Wave (meanwhile with Bada 1.2). Installing and using without a hitch, except for a map error that I get sometimes.
xplsek01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with GPS positioning on Samsung Wave. All other applications already have GPS location but TB not. Internal GPS is set on A-GPS switched off.
Bada version 1.0.2, TB 1.0.5.
Thanks.
Kaffeesack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit preposterous, but: Have you waited long enough? I have made the experience, that it can take up to a few minutes for the Wave to get a fix on the satellites...
xplsek01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wrote, internal Bada applications (e.g. BADATracker, GPS Locator) are already fixed into GPS position - 6 sat available, 5 fixed, but TB still says NO POSITION or NO GPS SIGNAL.
May be some problem with JAVA?
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be. Where does TB say NO GPS SIGNAL? There is no such message in TB. What do you see in Info->Technical->Provider status and Provider Error?
xplsek01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's true - NO POSITION. Please see my screen shots.

Problems.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Problems.zip
 Filesize:  342.3 KB
 Downloaded:  1398 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Devices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: