• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
mapexplore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to finish Mercator soon; formulas require logarithmic and inverse trigonometric functions which are not supported by CLDC...

Since I'm a bit behind in theory of Mercator projection, interesting things for me is that the huge map I spoke of is from local online source (http://www.mapy.cz), which I suppose "follow" Google, UTM is working pretty well...
Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kruch wrote:
I hope to finish Mercator soon; formulas require logarithmic and inverse trigonometric functions which are not supported by CLDC...

Yes. Maybe you can find some GPL java midp math extensions library ...

http://henson.newmail.ru/j2me/FloatConv.htm

kruch wrote:

Since I'm a bit behind in theory of Mercator projection, interesting things for me is that the huge map I spoke of is from local online source (http://www.mapy.cz), which I suppose "follow" Google, UTM is working pretty well...

Interface looks similar, but map sources comes from PLANstudio, it rather suggest modern european map source ... Wink
Like Swedish RT-90 maps services, etc.

Last edited by Ranger on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
yaworski

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a street level map which contains a part of the Warsaw and I need to say that I didn't saw any error in displaying my current position. But this wasn't a big area (about 5 or 6km wide and tall I think). That is why I proposed that this script could make more smaller maps rather than one big with one calibration.

----edit----

I think if there is any library for MIDP out there it would require CLDC1.1 at least, because CLDC1.0 doesn't have floating point numbers. I think that without float support it would be hard to create such library or it would be rather slow (??).

Last edited by yaworski on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaworski wrote:
But this wasn't a big area (about 5 or 6km wide and tall I think).

Such area I named small Wink
No problem.
dodo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaworski wrote:

dodo you swapped both values. You switched lat and lon Smile.

It should be:
Lon 145.17 Lat -37.83

Oops!
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger wrote:
Interface looks similar, but map sources comes from PLANstudio, it rather suggest modern european map source ... Wink
Like Swedish RT-90 maps services, etc.

And what is the projection these maps use? Thanks.
Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows ? This is the question to authors of map. I didn't found such info Rolling Eyes
I can suppose only, that map is based on the similar materials as printed maps PLANstudio produces. Earlier I mentioned about RT-90 map services, but for these maps projection is known and calibration too.
For many others map sources not.
la_ouiche

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: mapexplore Reply with quote

Ok, so first excuse me because I do not know anything about datum and projection... So if I understand well (correct me if I'm wrong), you first define a datum and then a projection (like the Mercator used in GoogleMaps), but in TB there is no projection, only lat/lon is used?).
So as you said Kruch TB is working well even with big maps, but there is some differences when using a Mercator projection on big maps.
So I think may be in a first place the most efficient solution to be able to use large maps from mapexplore would be to directly provide converted values in the map file (so converted from Mercator to lat/lon ones), because as it is written in JavaScript it is may be not so hard to implemant such a complex calculation?
What do you think of this? If you're ok with this first approach, would it be possible to ask for you to give me the formulas needed to convert the 4 corners of a map?

thx
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of now, TB supports Transverse Mercator and "Latitude/Longitude" (implemented as OziE defines it). I hope to have Mercator finished tonight.

The "big" map I have comes from mapy.cz, for which projection is unknown to me, but calibrated using UTM (grid based on Transverse Mercator) works great in TB.

What calibration info one gets for a map in GoogleMaps?
Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kruch wrote:
As of now, TB supports Transverse Mercator and "Latitude/Longitude" (implemented as OziE defines it). I hope to have Mercator finished tonight.

Depends of point of view Smile
From my TB supports Lat/Lon, TM and special TM case - UTM.
Having Mercator makes 80% done, probably one more conic projection (LCC, EC) will close projections subject. But I think that this is not 095 goal.
kruch wrote:

The "big" map I have comes from mapy.cz, for which projection is unknown to me, but calibrated using UTM (grid based on Transverse Mercator) works great in TB.

Can be. Last time maps are designed as WGS84 with UTM grids.
Problem with maps from net services is indeed lack of metrics info necessary to use them as GPS maps. My question is how you are sure about grid position, when you really use 4 points from grid to calibrate ?
It is a lot easier with grids drawn on map by authors.
kruch wrote:

What calibration info one gets for a map in GoogleMaps?

Depends.
Hand made calibration is done the same way as any other map, so if you have Lat/Lon corners coords (2 or 4 pts), it is enough for blank map calibration in MC or OziE.
If you think about over air maps loading, calibration is not so complicated too. As you know, tiles are prepared equidistant (the same distance/pixel for both x and y). So many tools just counts it from tiles x,y and zoom values.
There are working script samples to get tiles for Lat/Lon position, or get point Lat/Lon when tiles loaded, ie:
http://mapki.com/getLonLat.php
More info about:
http://mapki.com/wiki/Knowledge_Base
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger: I've tried to calibrate a map OziE with Mercator projection. There are no projection params saved in .map file. Should I assume 1SP variant with scale factor 1 and longitude of origin in the center of the map?

la_ouiche: you may this article interesting: http://cfis.savagexi.com/articles/2006/05/03/google-maps-deconstructed
Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kruch wrote:
I've tried to calibrate a map OziE with Mercator projection. There are no projection params saved in .map file. Should I assume 1SP variant with scale factor 1 and longitude of origin in the center of the map?

Not for G implementation, as you know point of origin should be moved to
"Pixel (0,0), always represents GLatLng(85.0511287798066,-180). "

You will not have parameters from calibration file, only info that Mercator projection is used. Map file should be calibrated using Lat/Lon.
I'm not sure what you are trying to do, could you PM ?
gabor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have extended la_ouchie's mapexplore's functionality and altered the map creating process somewhat. As discussed earlier, it seems that calibration is most accurate on street level, and deviated on large areas.

Requirements:
Opera; a Unix (cygwin) bash shell; wget

The new process is the following:
-using Opera open the map.html
-using zoom+, zoom- buttons, and the minimap find your area of interest
-decide about the size of your map using the xres+,xres-,yres+,yres- buttons and zooming
-position your map using the incX,incY,decX,decY buttons so as to have black and white tiles (google map tiles) fit to the corners of your map. Do not touch, move, drag, zoom the map from this point on
-if map is positioned, save the calibration information find at the bottom of the page into a .map file
-turn off the Show grid checkbox
-position on the top left tile and using right click Open picture
-copy the URL into the get.sh's UPPER_LEFT variable
-positon on the bottom right tile and open it
-copy the URL into BOTTOM_RIGHT
-set the MAP_DIR variable (and optionally the PREFIX - used for the png file name's prefix)
-save your get.sh file and run it
-copy your calibration file into the MAP_DIR prefixed with PREFIX and your map is ready

2007-01-22

Some enhancements and bug fix.
-bigger overview map for creating large scale maps (bottom right corner)
-buttons (inc res, dec res) to set the amount of increase of resolution
-proper png file naming => correct calibration

I find that while Opera is able to handle very large maps (e.g. ~ 16000x8000 pixels) iexplorer becomes unresponsive.

2007-01-29

-Added map projection info specific for google maps
-Placed files into gmapexplore directory

gmapexplore.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  gmapexplore.zip
 Filesize:  6.54 KB
 Downloaded:  297 Time(s)

Last edited by gabor on Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone send me a trekbuddy map generated with mapexplore where the deviation makes it unusable?
Lakva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabor, do you think, that it will be possible to modify MapExplorer to use another map source?
To be specific: mapy.atlas.cz ...

Or, anyone, do you know some source for Czech Republic with... vrstevnice... contour lines - lines that shows altitude on map...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: