• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsbrody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billy06 wrote:
End of j2me support? Shocked what would we use our old nokias for you know the one you can sling in a bag dig out 5 days later and they still have charge! , i personally think those j2me users are the core TB users, i personally no longer use TB as my main app on android as i feel there are far more plugged in apps such as Locus, but give the kids that old nokia and go out geocaching TB it will be all the way!

100% agreed. Kruch, please do not end the j2me support regarding TB. This app is the best caching app on that architecture since Groundspeak finished Support for there app in 2011.

Regarding (for me) important features:
vector maps instead or additionally to current map format
different icons/colouring or whatever for the different cache and wp types
boowoo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completly agree with billy06 ... I use both TB on J2ME and android version and my old java phone can run several days after my smartphone battery is dead ! Smile
Thanks to Kruch for the wish list and keep in mind that he know better than us what is good for this fantastic app Trekbuddy. Wink
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, there is no need to end j2me support, Android and/or WindowsPhone ports just can have extra features not available for or not possible in j2me version.

For me, what I need has been implemented in TB years ago, so I do not know better than you what more TB should have Wink
For example, there is a simple support for sharing location with another TB over SMS. I implemented it mostly out of curiosity, and I consider it a waste time because nobody used it (and nowadays it is obsolete anyway).

The feeback from users is important not only for features, but maybe even more for user interface. It evolved in the era of keypad phones and I got soooo used it that even now with touchscreen phone it seems OK to me, it is not nice but it works Smile
Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, app interface is key point for multiplatform app.
Just today I answered the good known question about trip computer. New users just don't know that it is "do yourself" think.
Screen fragmentation on platforms causes the need to prepare different CMS-es suitable for resolution, activity, etc.
But I think one basic CMS should be build-in, cause app indeed knows all what is needed better than new user can ...
Next, if we have icons bar on screen, question is why on one screen only?
Peoples doesn't change brightness ie on compass screen or CMS? Or don't search for navigation menu ?
Physical keyboard was just visible all time, touchscreen is present always too, but function buttons not always visible for some screens ... Smile
Nothing hard for old users, knowing app on few platforms, but for ie new platform user ?
App probably can have same interface, but it should be easy to understand as possible.
Similar is for platforms changes, I used app on many.
Stable atlas/maps format and gpx standard for navigation data just gives easy option to move, if someone would.
Old platforms have unchanging bugs, new ones just ... changing Smile
gautxori

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billy06 wrote:
End of j2me support? Shocked what would we use our old nokias for you know the one you can sling in a bag dig out 5 days later and they still have charge! , i personally think those j2me users are the core TB users...

I do agree, too. In fact it's a delight to know i'm not the only j2me-dependant user, and i hope kruch will not let users down: I only own a Nokia C2-01, as it states in my signature. I have no Android phones, and I would not change my Nokia for an octa-core 7" Android, less to say for a Windows Phone mobile.

I was just trying to make an overall view of the app, and think about the future. About TB's future.
kruch wrote:
For me, what I need has been implemented in TB years ago, so I do not know better than you what more TB should have :Wink:

This is what i meant:
- There are quite a lot of features in the wishlist that could be implemented regardless of the device TB is being run on. I hope the near future will come with such new features and improvements in TB 1.x.
- But there are also some 'big picture' features (scripting, interface) that need to be reconsidered. Perhaps these should be regarded in a major TB release (2.x?), taking into account only platforms being developed: it does not make sense to constrain a big change in the interface or the script engine to "j2me based devices", for these are bound to disappear. So, please do not move into a new j2me-constrained script engine. And I think TB's keyboard interface might be left unchanged, whilst the menu interface depends quite a lot on the platform (Symbian - Android - WinMobile), and nowadays is very conditioned to J2ME. Regarding the touchscreen interface cannot say much, I tested it on a Samsung GT-S5620 and did not like it much; and there is the fragmentation problem.

BTW i'm unable to find a good mobile (the one you can sling in a bag dig out 5 days later and it still has charge!) in replacement for my C2-01. I prefer a Nokia. If anyone can help...

brablablinky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came from a Nokia and now use Trekbuddy on Android. For me its still my number one for Geocaching. One thing that would yet improve it even more: Different waypoint icons (or just simply different colors) for different Cache types (e.g. green for Traditionals, blue for Mysteries, ...).
I think that would help Geocachers a lot and should be not so complex to implement.

Many thanks kruch for this great app and all the effort that you have spent for it!
boowoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an "old user" and when i"ve discovered Trekbuddy i've realised that it was a fantastic geocaching app but with necessity to be learned seriously because not very intuitive for recent users ... I learn more and more, and i try to help with my small level of contribution ... Wink

There are many informations on wiki but the Trekbuddy help file (in app) don't have updates for actual smarphones ...

Thanks Ranger, with your experience, i think you have pointed to the good direction for Trekbuddy's evolution, and maybe in first time, it could be good to work on interface for a better intuitive utilisation. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you Crush for this needed GPS program. I have tried on few Androids
4.0 4.3 like Samsung S4 and Note S3 and it works fine. At first did not connect, but I downloaded GPS Mouse application, and with this apk it works perfect. Thanks to GPS Mouse Developer and to you I have a working
GPS on my Android. I wish you good luck. You are grate!

Rambo
[/b]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: no arrows in cms Reply with quote

pls fix arrows in cms, I see only '?' , I cant use them in geocaching. Except this application load much much faster hundreds of geocaching points on my SE W980.
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: no arrows in cms Reply with quote

guest wrote:
pls fix arrows in cms, I see only '?' , I cant use them in geocaching. Except this application load much much faster hundreds of geocaching points on my SE W980.

please describe the issue a bit more, thanks
billy06

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like missing .png files

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using CMS from here http://www.trekbuddy.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3548

and before it was looking like that :
http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/s7vvuatrfnhnj1wagfdwep4nte7zz3ws/

and now in last version like that:
http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/mzr0fejl9l8z216a7p79ky6cg4t56q8s/

What I want to said more, is that new look of geocache description, hints and logs are better now, easier and faster to enter, everything works faster now and I want said thank you for that. It really helps a lot. One problem is those arrows now, they are working very nice if are working, rotating fast and shows exact position of cache. But now I see only those "?" :cry:
Maybe you know some different CMS with arrows showing waypoints.
Or I have to learn how to use built in compass with those tiny fonts. Maybe those green arrow works in the same way ? ...
seYden

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I change the value of "GPX dt (s)" on my Samsung B2710?
Keys "#" or "*" doesn't work. Any ideas?
boowoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- In settings, enable "numeric imput hack"
- press # long time
gautxori

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: INTERFACE Reply with quote

kruch wrote:
The feeback from users is important not only for features, but maybe even more for user interface. It evolved in the era of keypad phones and I got soooo used it that even now with touchscreen phone it seems OK to me, it is not nice but it works Smile

As there's no "standard" interaction for touch panels (both Windows(TM), the mouse and phone keypads & dialers have set strong standards on man-machine interaction, but i think this won't happen with touch panels within a short time), it's difficult to let you know what features to be added to the interface.

The trouble is also letting you know what we want, and knowing what can be done on every platform.
Anyway, with the help of some GUI prototyping tool useful for Android for touch panels (either phones, or tablets) (Pencil may help), i'll try to help.

For the moment, current TB's main menu for touch panels looks great. As long as it keeps a well distributed set of commands, all of them "properly sorted" either in the display or in the menu hierarchy, that is the way to go.
[EDIT: first and foremost, do not forget to keep the same features in any platform, even J2ME. Perhaps this - and everything i wrote - is obvious, but to get to that you'd have to keep a strict distinction between the generic 'user input' - that is, all commands and data the user feeds, and the 'objects' they're applied to - and the 'interface' - that is, how the previous is implemented on every platform.]
Try to make the touch buttons as small as possible, but big enough to be touched with the thumb. Assign them understandable icons (and text). Try to fit them as close as possible to the margins of the screen, either vertically or horizontally (depending on rotation), so that touch buttons flow in one direction. Make them flow along a second, parallel line (preferably to the other margin of the screen) when no more buttons can be fitted into the first line. And do not forget of high resolution & high dpi displays.
When commands may be more intuitive by touch actions (such as pinching for zoom or rotation, double touching for creating a Waypoint, long-pressing for ... - avoid this one: when trekking, what we want is a responsive interface / immediate action -, etc), go for them.
I personally like a couple of ideas / features:
- overlaying any input form on the map, making it partially transparent. So that the map (TB's main screen, always-to-be-seen) is always visible.
- "drag'n'drop" actions on the screen: just place some "active areas" on the screen - near the margins: we need a big map area -, so that when dragging the cursor - or other items - to any of the "active areas", a command is executed. This is a very object-oriented interface.
- take advantage from the sensors: orientation sensor is useful for tagging/displaying users' point of view; light sensor, for changing screen brightness when on bright light/sun; magnetometer, to display 'real north' vs. GPS north (see here); accelerometer or gravity sensor, to let you know first derivative of speed... - disregard looking at your phone as you're moving & feeling acceleration Laughing
(- perhaps the vintage rotary dial for pulse telephones may be 're-invented' on a touch panel. Would be great, both for making calls, and for some kind of multiple-choice interaction)

As for the keyboard... try to avoid displaying it when in the map screen. When the device has a keypad it's usually done, but otherwise... When you need text-numeric input, try to create a new form for that. And do not forget BIG screens (=tablets). We do not want to see a 10" screen with a couple of '12pt' text fields at the top, and a 5" keyboard at the bottom.

Do not ever forget what users do with TB : some might be skating or riding a bike (or a horse, a whale, ...) while they're thinking where (TF) that command was... Embarassed ooopppsss!! (crash! Rolling Eyes). --> suggestion: add a "lock" feature to the menus, also linked to the speed or to any useful sensor; turn off the screen when sensing acceleration.

That's all for now... Mr. Green

boowoo wrote:
- In settings, enable "numeric input hack"
- press # long time

BTW, wtf what is "numeric input hack"?. This is what i (we?) mean, that should be avoided.[/url]

Last edited by gautxori on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Versions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: