• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.
Trekbuddy is on Github now

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Samsung Galaxy S2, TB installation and SD card

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bambleweenie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Samsung Galaxy S2, TB installation and SD card Reply with quote

Hi all

I've installed TB on a Samsung Galaxy SII (running Android Gingerbread). I downloaded the app from Google's Play store, and it seems to default to installing on the phone's memory, and creating the datadir folder structure in the same memory.

I want both the app and the folder structure on the phone's SD card - some of my atlases are large, and would consume most of the phone's memory otherwise.

I can move the app to the SD card, but apparently not the folder structure. After moving the app (via Android's App management menu) I copied the TB folder from phone memory to SD card, then deleted the TB folder in the phone's memory. On subsequently opening TB, it prompts to create folders, and does so - in the phone's memory. In the settings menu, TB is apparently pointing at file:///sdcard/trekbuddy, but doesn't seem to be looking there in actuality.

I know i must be doing something stupid, but don't know what. Would I be better to download and install the app from here rather than from Google Play? I would appreciate any pointers in the right direction
Bambleweenie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, turns out I was being dumb. In case anyone else has the same question, here's what I found from the web:

"I didn’t realise this when I got it but the Samsung Galaxy S2 has 3 storage areas! First one is the 2GB of storage dedicated to storing your apps. Second one is the next 11GB of internal storage which is called the “SD Card” – except it is built into the phone. It’s NOT your external card. Third one is the external SD card you have installed. When you move apps from the “phone” to the “SD card” you are moving them internally within the phone, NOT to your external card. Also, when you store music, photos, videos etc. by default they go to the internal storage NOT the external card."

So TB was moved, and its internal address is fine - but its pointing at the internal "SD card", not the external microSD card. It seems there is no way of moving TB (or any App) to the microSD card short of rooting the phone.
Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try old trick - load any map from microSDHC and set it as default in TB. Next look to Settings, Basic, check map url and correct TB's data folders url. Should work.
Typical TB's url for microSDHC should be like
file:///sdcard/external_sd/trekbuddy
(underline character between external & sd)
Bambleweenie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - that worked fine. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your help
macimaxcom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the old trick that worked fine.
I appreciate your help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: