• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.
Trekbuddy is on Github now

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Migrating from a simple phone to a touchscreen Android

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celda

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Migrating from a simple phone to a touchscreen Android Reply with quote

I had been succesfully using TB for 4 years on a classical slider with HW keyboard and recently changed to a touchsreen Android - BTW both dualSIMs, see my signature below.
At first I had to get used to the touchsreen way of handling, big screen Smile and permanent charging Sad too ... Smile Android version (currently using 1.1.1) is great (thank you, Kruch), however I have some issues I hope I could be given an answer/a solution here:

1) I know that long press of the left bottom corner of the display in TB starts/stops a touchscreen lock. Unfortunately, on my G1355 it has no effect on the hardware buttons (menu, home, search, back) placed in the bottom of the phone, which is very unpleasant and "spoils" the lock. Do all Android phones with TB behave like this ?
Well, I am not programing Android applications but according to some links:
http://androidforums.com/eris-support-troubleshooting/46545-disable-home-back-buttons.html
http://paul-wintzer.fr/?q=node/30
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1020834
http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/no-touch-prevent-accidental-touches-while-watching-movies-android/
it seems possible that TB could be modified to include these buttons in the lock too !

2) My phone includes an electronic compass and TB can use it Cool - I noticed an extra yellow needle in the compass screen. It even seems this yellow needle works much better than the normal needle (red or blue), which can detect cardinal directions only from the change of my position reported by GPS. However, when I start GPS, both the needles (yellow and red/blue) are displayed simultaneously and it seems the direction arrow (when navigating) refers to the red/blue one. Moreover, the color of the red/blue needle is sometimes as it should be (red or blue when averaging) and sometimes it is black (grey) only ! Is there any meaning in it (I don't understand) or it is just an error in TB ? Could there be an option for Android phones to disable the red/blue needle completely and relate the arrow (and the position circles) to the yellow needle ?

3) And the last (but not the least) for the moment - from time to time TB reports a rendering error in the map view. Luckily, it is not a critical error - when I confirm the upcoming window, TB does not crash and continues normally. Does anyone also experience this on an Android phone ? (The atlas has been used many years with the old mobile so it is not to blame.)

Looking forward to your ideas ... Wink

mobile: SAMSUNG SGH D880 Duos (dual SIM)
GPS: Qstarz BT-1200 Bluetooth Solar Travel Recorder (MTK chipset)
Celda

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, is there anybody out here ? Crying or Very sad
A week has passed and no one has written any reply, even not a simple info if his/her Android phone behaves alike ! Rolling Eyes I just don't want to believe it's such a lifeless place here ...

mobile: SAMSUNG SGH D880 Duos (dual SIM)
GPS: Qstarz BT-1200 Bluetooth Solar Travel Recorder (MTK chipset)
Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Smile
First of all, Android has some changes in time and some problems can be observed depending on phone model and system version.
Ad.1 I didn't found such problem ie on Xperia LWW, with similar phone menu keys.
Ad.2 Solution can be turn on lock for gps compass and rotate phone.
Using magnetic compass in all cases isn't possible, due the lack of sensors in many (non Android) phones. Lack of gps course can cause such problem, it is gps dependent (external conditions etc). Or can be app bug not easy to reproduce Smile
Ad.3. Can be file system problem or maps problem. In error cases you can use aLogcat app to record logs in phone and help to solve them this way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> English All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: