• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.
Trekbuddy is on Github now

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Confused beginner - Nokia 5230

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bambleweenie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Confused beginner - Nokia 5230 Reply with quote

Hi all,
Thoroughly confused beginner here. I am trying to install Trekbuddy on a Nokia 5230, and I get an error message "Init map....InvalidMapException......(null) No Calibration". What does this mean? I haven't loaded any maps yet (that confuses me even more) - I just want to get the app installed and running. I thought from reading the forums and installation instructions that this should be possible. I haven't installed the TrekBuddyService (Symbian application) - is that the problem? Any suggestions gratefully received
noordfiets

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: short manual on 5230 and trekbuddy Reply with quote

You'll need trekbuddy jar and jad. And a map of course...
Use usb mass-storage option. You will! need a sd card. Set windows explorer to show hidden files, important later on! During the install do not run any Nokia application, so put your phone offline first.

-Copy trekbuddy jar/jad to sd-card, preferably to e:\installs.
    -Make a directory 'trekbuddy' on your sd card.
    -Make a directory 'maps' in there and copy your map there. You can skip this, but you'll have only the default world map, not very practical unless you want to know on wich continent you are.
    -Now set the 'trekbuddy' directory to 'Hidden'. This is important to do now, otherwise Gallery/Media/etc will scan your maptiles and you'll be left with possibly thousands of thumbnails or even out off memory messages.
    -Disconnect the phone and open filebrower. Go to E:. You want be able to see the trekbuddy-directory you just made, but that is fine. If you can see it you didn't set it's atrribute to hidden.
    -Run the JAD in e:\installs. Install trekbuddy to phone for speed. Choose yes when asked to run Trekbuddy
    -Trekbuddy may issue an error but will create the necessary subdirs in e:\trekbuddy.
    -Tap lower-left corner and load your map to see if it works
    -Tap lower left corner and exit. Put your phone online again

When adding maps keep in mind that the trekbuddy directory is hidden so make sure windows explorer shows hidden files. If you add maps outside of the Trekbuddy dir be sure to set that directory to hidden before running any Nokia application.

Screen brightness: the first long press in the upper richt corner works as expected. The second turns off screen, but also turns off the touchpad input. To get some light back: press the corner and at the same time flick the keyboard lock switch twice. You might need to repeat this because because long pressing is difficult on this touchpad anyhow. You can now adjust light level upwards as usual. If you get stuck here: pres menu long and close trekbuddy in taskmanager.
Keep in mind this only sets screenbrightness for Trekbuddy, the phone will still turn off display/touchscreen as set in 'settings'.

You can run trekbuddy in the background and play mp3/radio whatever.
Bambleweenie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much - this worked fine. Appreciate you taking the time to respond
noordfiets

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can forget about the last part: backlight problems are fixed in latest release.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> English All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: