• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.
Trekbuddy is on Github now

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dont laugh - but can I make this custom arrow....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Dont laugh - but can I make this custom arrow.... Reply with quote

Hi All.

I know this might sound like a bizarre idea, but I run trekbuddy on a sony ericsson k750i and the screen is a little on the small side.

I sometimes get confused with turning left and right when following a route because the map does not rotate but thought of a way that I could possibly make it easier.

I had the idea of making a red arrow with an 'L' on one side and a 'R' on the other so that even when the arrow is directed at an crazy angle I can instatly figure out which way to turn.

Yep, I know this sounds laughable but it would help me I think and should not clultter up the map nav screen too much - but is it do-able?

Cheers.
MrTom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES you can.
At top of page:
Visit our wiki to see all features, guides and howtos.
Then "search" term= "arrows"
Many links posted.

Looker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr Tom.

Done loads of reading and testing and am sorry to say this does not work.

The 'L' and 'R' for left and right work ok for 180degrees of navigation - but for the other 180degrees the 'L' and 'R' get reversed and shown back to front and are the wrong way around.

Technically what I want is not possible as far as I can see.

I have attached the nav file I made in case anyone wants to test it for themselves but at the moment I canot find a way to do this unless anyone has any bright ideas please?

ta.

[/img]

naviws.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.98 KB
 Viewed:  15670 Time(s)

naviws.png

Looker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the front page... I may have cracked it but I got a sneaky feelling this still aint gonna work.

Have made these arrows now for the direction I am travelling. Will only be able to test tomorrow so will report back then.

arrows.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.86 KB
 Viewed:  15665 Time(s)

arrows.png

arrows2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.18 KB
 Viewed:  15665 Time(s)

arrows2.png

Bas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two arrows: your course and azimuth. You can correct your direction- it depends on the relation between these TWO arrows (it's relative) - sometimes you have to turn right but sometimes you need to turn left when "you move on the other side" of the green arrow.
Looker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bas,
think I understood that - but in short - is it do-able or not to make functioning arrows with 'L' and 'R'?
Ta.
Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong idea.
If one picture (not two) is used to show current direction to point for all angles, it should be reversed for some angles. You can see such effect with prepared navivs file.
For TB you can use ConvWPT tool to prepare route direction symbols visible on CMS and/or use next turn voice direction like "to the left", etc.
Bas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looker wrote:
is it do-able or not to make functioning arrows with 'L' and 'R'?

In my opinion - it is impossible.
You must look at these TWO arrows and decide - turn left/right to correct your course in relation to green arrow.

You can use "compass" with these two bearings (azi/crs) and try to coordinate them.

You can use CMS screen with course correction arrow - it's calculated from azi/crs variables:

http://www.trekbuddy.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3686
Looker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But my theory is that is you attach an 'L' to the left hand side of the arrow as it is pointing upwards then because trekbuddy does not rotate the map - left will still be left even when the arrow is pointing downwards even though it appears on the right.

Thats the key to it all - the relatioship between the left and right when the map is effectively turned on its head.

its the same old thing when you are talking to someone face to face... is it "my" left or "your" left. That question does not apply when you are both facing the same direction in the same way it would not apply if trekbuddy rotated the map.

Been thinking about this alot and I got a feeling it gonna work although because trekbuddy only has arrows graphicly for 180 degress - the mirrored graphics may cause a problem.

Am surprised this has not been mentioned before as having a map that does not rotate does need a slight bit more processing power for our grey matters and so some kind of implemenation to assist in the right and left turnings would be beneficial.
Bas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think about something else.
If you must turn left (right) - you always turn left (right). It's simple:

This situation isn't so simple:

It isn't simple because we have a few arrows:

The range between them is 22.5 deg. Even if they are in the same position the angle can be too big. A little characters L/R on both arrows aren't so readable if the arrows are close to each other. They can be useful, of course...

Last edited by Bas on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so hard to rotate phone ... and map ? Wink
Yes I know, ie. on bike it is.
Looker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will be going out for a drive tomorrow Bas and so will test out my new arrows and report back ASAP.

Ranger - think you answered your own question there matey. Wink
Bas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Smile

Numbers (azi/crs or crs-c) are good for geocaching, especially if you want to find one place in the middle of the forest. If you are on a hiking trail you need an approximate direction or event just a point on the map.
Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Looker
I was joking a bit ... Smile
This arrow shows direction to the active navigation point, not next turn.
Do you use draw route line on map option for navigation ? And trail ?
Can help on bike.
Looker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ranger - I know you were only kidding - even tho there is some truth in what you said Wink

What I do is make a route in the free version of Google Earth - save it as a KML and then convert it to a GPX track with no more than 100 waypoints.

Put that in my trekbuddy tracks folder and I can follow the route whilst driving (if I need it).

However, as I tend to keep my eyes on the road and hardly look at the route on trekbuddy - I would find it alot easier that when I glance at the screen I can see whether or not the next turning on my rtoute is to take a left or right.

All simple enough stuff, but I do sometimes get confused a little when I am travelling down the mape or at a 130 degree angle on the map (for example) whether it is a right or left turn I need to make. When driving I want all my concentration to be on the road not looking twice at the screen to determine which way I should turn.... hence.... my idea. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Themes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: