• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TB vs Samsung phones
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S5620 (Monte) doesn't seem to play ball with TB. It just seems unable 99% of the time to get a GPS lock despite the bundled / pre-installed phone apps finding up to 6 satellites and showing correct position after just a few seconds every time without fail. Even when left for over 10 mins TB fails to get a lock.

Even stranger though is that it has, on 3 very well spaced occaisions, achieved a gps lock and then of course the rest of it runs perfectly. That's why I haven't yet given up on TB with this phone. Once you have a GPS lock stopping then restarting the GPS doesn't result in a quick lock as I had expected (as happens with my Samsung Android) - you're back to square one and maybe a handful of times out of 100 attempts you will get another GPS lock if you're lucky. No errors show at any time in the Info --> Technical page from what I can see.

I've searched through the forum and translated the foreign threads relating to this phone and tried all of the suggested settings but nothing has made any difference so far. Hope you eventually figure it out Krutch, it would be nice to get it working as well as it does on my android Smile
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xplsek01 wrote:
Unfortunately it's true - NO POSITION. Please see my screen shots.

TrekBuddy automaticky GPS nepouští, musíš v hlavním menu vybrat Start.
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul99 wrote:
Hope you eventually figure it out

Samsung phone are problematic for TB, problems are hard solve without actually having the device at hand... I have an idea of something to try to get the fix quicker, though.
xplsek01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kruch! I thought that the Start item is just for GPS logging into a file. Now it works - GPS fixed.
However, I don't see GPS signal level and a number of GPS sats is stated like -1.
[img][/img]

20110120222215.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.54 KB
 Viewed:  24105 Time(s)

20110120222215.gif

kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xplsek01 wrote:
However, I don't see GPS signal level and a number of GPS sats is stated like -1.

This info may not be available with internal GPS, it is a limitation of API and implementation. Try to make NMEA log (Settings->Location->Tracklog format) - if you get empty file, bad luck.
Myrra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Some info on S8500 wave... Reply with quote

Some info I gathered using TB 1.0.5 on S8500 wave (see device thread for more)
-- signing doesn't work, I don't know why. I will try workaround using file TKFile explorer when I find some free evening.
-- internal GPS doesn't connect. In info there is security exception, seems TB is not allowed to use API in question. I don't know which one and what has to be set in JAD file. Maybe it doesn't work until it is signed correctly???
-- there are some troubles with stability using bluetooth: when you connect both handsfree and GPS module, receiving a call means TB stops (?). After hang up (probably Wink) there is slow beeping and icon is blue instead of green. GPS module indicates it is connected. Waiting doesn't help (some minutes). To make it work again, one has to stop GPS in TB menu and start over again (it takes some time to stop), in worse case also GPS module or everything needs to be restarted (GPS module, bluetooth of phone and TB itself - which is not funny on a highway with those security messages Surprised) I suspect some troubles with phone bluetooth itself since similar problems I have with Nokia N96, which is Symbian based. I don't know if anyone experienced such behavior, maybe it is a unique mix of devices (Jabra BT530, Nokia LD-4W)

UPDATE: this happens regardless of handsfree connected or not - just receiving a call is sufficient. I suspect when TB is put in the backgroung, it survives some short time, than bluetooth is switched off (?). Upon activate, exception like "provider error" or something like this is shown in technical info. This behavior is similar to what I see on Nokia N96 which is Symbian based. I don't know anything about implementation TB is using for bluetooth device (listener? separate thread?) my solution would be: in case of such error, display message "Try again? (yes/no)". This would be great since it would require one single click. Message will probably hang along with app in background, when activated in task manager this would solve the problem. Just guess, though...

-- some maps don't display correctly. Only a few of the tiles is displayed, the rest of the screen consists of grid with some text labels (name, size etc.). I don't know if the problem lies in memory (I tried several settings combination), I suspect problems with Samsung renderer itself (if Kruch is using some internal API to display PNG). The troublemaker is for example Prague 1:10000. Similar problem I experienced with CMS font size - until some size (big one, last usable I found 3000x193px) it gets displayed, then only icon is visible in phone media browser and CMS is using default font. If internal picture viewer renders file correctly, it is displayed in CMS also.
-- backlight is always on while GPS is started, no way to stop it or adjust (other than locking the phone). This is a very minor issue, since Amoled consumes less power and is quite visible even on low settings. After some 4 hours, using simultaneously music player, battery is still half full (using external BT GPS module).
-- for tared atlases, there are some exceptions when you set Misc settings incorrectly (like bad header, 20 20 20... I assume spaces Wink. To make it work, everything in Misc menu has to be switched off, except "Safe renderer" (which probably has nothing to do with file reading)

I can do some more testing if required.

Myrra
titant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problems with tared altlas.
Quote:
some maps don't display correctly. Only a few of the tiles is displayed, the rest of the screen consists of grid with some text labels (name, size etc.)

This only happens to layers or maps with a huge number of tiles. For example higher zoom levels or bigger maps. Belongs this problem to TrekBuddy or Mobile Atlas Creator 1.8?
Untared one is running well but thousend of tiles will appeare as picture in the viewer of the phone and reading data of the SD card is getting realy slow at phone boot.
waaa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Are some "improvements" planned for Samsung device Reply with quote

I use version 1.0.16 (newest one), checked several fimwares available on my Avila 5230G and {dist-t} and {spd-avg-auto} are still not working Sad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: How did u install Trekbuddy? Reply with quote

pitoz wrote:
i have been usiing TB with my M8800 Pixon
- fullscreen works with adding a line MIDlet-Touch-Support: True in jad file and it realy work, no soft keys
- i tried the voice navigation and it works just fine
- after some changes to phone setting is internal GPS really fast to locate satellites outdoor or in car behind front window
- similar problem with calculating distance and avg speed as it was mentioned in S8000 Jet
- some problems appears in versions 0.9.99 and 1.0.0 - application just doesnt work
- last fine workong version is 0.9.98

Hello pitoz or anyone else having trekbuddy installed on a samsung pixon.

Can u tell me how u installed it? Because i don't understand anything from the wiki or the user guides..
matjazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using it on Samsung Xcover 271 (B2710) with great success. I had to enable "lowmem IO" and "numeric input hack". Everything works and it even loads a gpx with 10100 pois. I had a couple of crashes (phone resets) but I think it could be SD card since phone crashed a couple of times while browsing files and also the card is unusually slow with large numbers of small files.
KKL

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: The problem with connecting an GPS via bluetooth in GT-C3520 Reply with quote

Recently installed TB on the phone of my friend, but I can not connect it to an external GPS receiver via Bluetooth. GPS is paired with the phone and is listed on the Bluetooth devices in the phone. GPS was also added to the trusted devices. Unfortunately positioning options to choose from TB is only a "stream" and "simulator".
Is there any way to connect the TB external GPS in this phone? Sad

Link to the specifications of Samsung GT-C3520:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_c3520-4218.php
Ranger

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Java tests shows that JSR-82 (BT interface) isn't implemented in this model:
http://www.mobilerated.com/samsung-gt-c3520-specifications.html
panfidel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Samsung Rugby III (AT&T, unlocked) Reply with quote

Samsung Rugby III (sgh-a997) phone i've managed to install TB (1.2.4) over the air only. had to write simple html page with link to TB jar file. device lock TB access to GPS and maps on memory card. it seems unsigned app is issue in this case. can't solve this problem at this moment.
boowoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekbuddy run with no problem on my Samsung B2710, Smile but the constructor limit to install a memory card (max = 16 Go) is too small when you need to use several big maps ...

I've tested with success a mmc 32 Go and it work fine ! Very Happy

Take care : i think it's important to choose a good compatible card...

For me Samsung microSDHC,32 Go, class 10, Ultra High Speed Performance => OK Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: