• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker - moved to github.
Trekbuddy github repository

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Graphical Atlas creator for TrekBuddy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
caesar1987

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pls try do add google hybrid
dl42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it.. TAC does not create .set files. when loading atlas in TrekBuddy, it complains about "tileset file not found".

Edit: When creating untared atlas, everything is OK. However, tared atlas ist much faster and smaller, here the .set files are missing.

Any solution for that or is it an unsolved problem?

Thanks in advance,
dl42
mobrob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK SET files are only necessary for untared atlases. For tared atlases you have the TMI files.
mobrob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been quite a long time since the last stable version has been released (1st of August). Therefore I am planning to make v1.6 stable the next weeks.
Therefore please test the release candidate intensively and report back any bugs and problems.

TrekBuddy Atlas Creator 1.6 RC 1

Changelog since v1.5 (those in bold are new to RC 1):

! Map selections do no longer unwanted enlarge itself in grid mode beyond the selected grid
+ Loading & saving of GPX 1.1 files (way- track- and routepoints are displayed as overlay)
+ GPX 1.0 files are automatically transformed to GPX 1.1 file on load
+ Route and tracks are painted as connected line
+ Add new way points to a GPX file (properties: lat, lon, name)
~ Behavior on adding new maps and layers changed: the number of layers has been reduced to a minimum making it easier switch between different zoom levels when using TrekBuddy
+ Map scale bar added (metric/imperial selectable)
+ New atlas format: Mobile Trail Explorer (MTE)
+ New atlas format: RMaps / BigPlanet SQLite (Android applications, requires additional SQLite libraries)
+ New atlas format: OSMTracker
+ New map source: OpenStreetMap Public Transport (öpnvkarte.de)
+ New map source: AustrianMap (z14 & z15 of www.austrianmap.at) [provided by Guenther Hoelzl]
+ New map sources: Freemap Slovakia (normal, hiking & hiking plus hill shade)
+ New map sources: Google Maps Korea
+ New map sources: Open Piste Map (openpistemap.org)
+ New atlas format: Maverick (Android application)
! Extreme performance break-in in grid-mode fixed
+ New map sources: Emapa.pl (Poland)
~ Max zoom level of Google Maps increased from 17 to 19
+ New atlas format: Glopus (PNG & KAL)

And again the YouTube video link showing how to use TAC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJ8Ju-choE

Last edited by mobrob on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both tmi and set files are map specific files, not atlas.
If you have map with set file included, map can be used more flexible, ie you can untar tared map and it is ready to use in such form.
Collecting maps in atlas is just another think Smile
Wunibald

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mobrob,
the Glopus-Format works very good !! Thanks very much for the fast implemantation !! Smile Smile Smile

Best regards

Wunibald
michal7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ad .PNG color dpth 8 / 24 bit: I did not noticed that custom tile processing is set individually for every map area. Applying tile processing options helped.
In IrfanView it is possible to set compression level 0-9 for .PNG format. Picture size can be reduced without significant degradation. This option would be useful also in TBAC, especially for large maps that cannot be processed in IrfanView.
Is it possible to continue creating of uncompleted atlas?
Thx for great application.
mobrob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi michal7,

yes, the tile processing options are applied on a map level. That is an intentionally feature.

compression level 0-9 for PNG format:
This is most likely the compression selector of the ZIP compressor used by PNG internally. The default Java PNG writer (used often by TAC) does not support changing the compression level and the TAC custom writers for 4bit does already use the BEST_COMPRESSION method.
However the PNGs may be a bit larger because no "filter" (see PNG spec) is applied on the raw image data. I am not an expert in this area therefore I decided that TAC has to work without filtering - this is the best I can do.

continue creating of uncompleted atlas:
No such feature planned. This is much too complicated as you would have to save the complete state program internally and program externally (file system). It is much easier to pause the atlas creation and use the suspend/hibernate functionality by your system. Or stop the atlas creation and restart it later. If you have enabled the tile store it will be much faster than the first time.

mobrob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for this great piece of software

mobrob wrote:

+ New atlas format: Glopus (PNG & KAL)

Why is the custom tile processing ignored for this atlas format? Glopus is not limited to a specific image format but can handle many variations of PNG, jpeg, bmp,... It could save a good deal of memory card space if it were possible to create 8Bit or 4Bit tiles instead of 24Bit. Also, the optimal tile size for Glopus depends only on the usage pattern.

For a next major release i'd like you to reconsider the implementation of the tile storage. I use TBAC for about a week know and the tile storage has already several GB of 256x256 tiles in it. Windows/NTFS/FAT are not very good in dealing with so many files per directory and my system is slowed down considerably already. I'd suggest storing the tiles in sqlite databases or to maintain a filesystem in a file. Even storing the tiles in a zip file might help - as far as i can see, no updates or deletes are done in the tile store, just additions.

Kind regards and thanks for your great work.
Velociraptor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guest wrote:
For a next major release i'd like you to reconsider the implementation of the tile storage. I use TBAC for about a week know and the tile storage has already several GB of 256x256 tiles in it. Windows/NTFS/FAT are not very good in dealing with so many files per directory and my system is slowed down considerably already. I'd suggest storing the tiles in sqlite databases or to maintain a filesystem in a file. Even storing the tiles in a zip file might help - as far as i can see, no updates or deletes are done in the tile store, just additions

Why don't use TAR format files for tile storage? Its fast, code for TARing is already used in TAC... and compressing PNGs and/or JPGs (in ZIP) is pointless.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velociraptor wrote:

Why don't use TAR format files for tile storage? Its fast, code for TARing is already used in TAC... and compressing PNGs and/or JPGs (in ZIP) is pointless.

You can't randomly access files in a tar archive - you would have to read the whole archive to get the last file in it. Response times would be horrible. ZIP is a filesystem in a file that can (but doesn't need to) apply compression to a file.

AFAIK java.util.zip wouldn't do the job since it handles zip files sequentially and has (had?) limitations regarding file sizes and number of files. There are open source implementations available, that fully support the features of the zip format.

BTW: I'm not saying zip should be used for the tile store. I'm just suggesting considering it. I think the developer(s?) know best how the tile store can be implemented optimally.

ZIP might not even be suitable: AFAIK the directory is maintained at the end of the zip file - i'm not sure if this scales well for large numbers of files.

Kind regards
mobrob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glopus atlas format:
I only implemented what was requested. Custom tile processing is a bit more complicated. May be that follows with after v1.6.

Tile storage:
SQLite is generally a good idea. Sadly there is no platform independent implementation available and the implementation which use native libraries are especially on Linux difficult to install (often you have to compile the library yourself).
ZIP is also no alternative as sometimes tiles a replaced and a tile update mechanism is planned. As ZIP files have a bad performance on replacing files in it this no option.
There are some other embeddable Java databases available but most of them are also not very suitable.
Does anybody know a good embeddable database that has a clean Java implementation and that is not that large?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Feature proposal: alternative rectangle cursor Reply with quote

Hi mobrob,

Everytime a new mapsource or zoomlevel gets in TBAC I create some testfiles and use them on my mobile phone to check if they are useable or not.

A nice little feature to avoid some of this tests would be a window where you could see how the map and/or scale shows on the destination device.

I could imagine of an alternative rectangle cursor sized the screen-size of the destination device. The rectangle size could be changed in the settings dialogue.
So the user has a better impression what he will see on the display.

With many thanks for TBAC

Heinz
bogi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tile Storage:

Possible solution to avoid too many files in a directory is to use a deeper directory structure of the tile cache. x and y tile coordinates could be divided into more parts.

For example SAS.Planet uses this solution for tile storage:

SAT\z17\35\x35878\22\y22729.jpg

That's for z=17, x=35878, y=22729
Direcotry z17\35\ contains only tiles with x=35...
Directories z17\..\x.....\22\ contain only tiles with y=22...

That would work much faster than without those intermediate directories.
start78

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mobrob:

Would it be hard to implement an option to print current selection?
Or maybe put out an image of it?

What i want is a way to print a map of a large area for example with zoomlevel 16...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 39 of 40

Jump to: