• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Wish List
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarath

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Wish List Reply with quote

Here goes my wish list for TrekBuddy...

A few of these are already requested in other posts, then I thought why not add a topic specifically for this. So, guys, please post your wishlist entries here and contribute to the author. Smile

1. I live in india and our timezone is GMT+5.5 Hours. Would be great if you can include these timezones. Or, you can make an option to enter it manually .

2. A tool that can fetch the maps based on the co-ordinates and auto calibrate them and then save it to the format required by Trekbuddy. I am still cracking the mapdownloader key machine is running from last 2 days without anyluck, may be within another week, and then if possible, can reverse engineer it and code a new one Smile. There are only 2 files in the archive, one getmaps.bat and a mapdownloader.jar file. So I guess it should be simple..

3. Avoid detecting Bluetooth device every time. It should save the GPS device and connect to it by default unless asked to rediscover. So all you have to do is to say start and you are online! Smile

4. Options to save the tracklogs in kml format for google earth, no big deal if its not there though, there are converters available.
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish List Reply with quote

sarath wrote:
4. Options to save the tracklogs in kml format for google earth, no big deal if its not there though, there are converters available.

GE can display GPX, I use v3 - ok, I admit: 1) it does not automatically zoom to the track, and 2) trackpoints are not emphasized - so, I use GPSBabel to transform GPX->KML, then the trackpoints are displayed as small triangles. Maybe GE4 works better with GPX?

But my objection against KML is that it is very verbose -> larger tracklog files, and - AFAIK - incapable of carrying all info I currently store in GPX (eg. hdop).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Additionally it would be great to have an option in the software to switch on the display light continuously (i.e. two options, automatic and on). The K750i switches off the display light after few seconds. Thanks! Very good software!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo,

what's about displaying UTM-coordinates and choosing the carddate?
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hallo,

what's about displaying UTM-coordinates and choosing the carddate?

What is the use case for displaying UTM coordinates? Do you find them more comfortable then lat/lon?
And what is "carddate" - you mean geodetic datum (like WGS 84, Krassovsky 1940 etc)?

Thanks,
k.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kruch wrote:

What is the use case for displaying UTM coordinates? Do you find them more comfortable then lat/lon?
And what is "carddate" - you mean geodetic datum (like WGS 84, Krassovsky 1940 etc)?

Thanks,
k.

I use GPS when I hike. And using UTM is much comfortable compared to lat/lon, because the maps for hikers I use display an UTM-grid together with a stencil for finding the right place.

Sorry, of course I meant "geodetic datum", but I didn't know the right word.

Greetings

Andreas
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see such map - is there any example I could download, from somewhere?

Thanks!

P.S. Displaying location in UTM added to TODO list. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether you can download such a map. But according to my experience there isn't any problem getting such a map for the "ususal" hiking-areas. For Bavaria there exists official topographical maps that include UTM-grids for hiking-purposes.

Greentings

Andreas
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, I've just downloaded a USGS topographic map with both lat/lon and UTM coordinates.

Regards, k.
Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be possible to view waypoints on phones without filesystem support ?
For such phones map should be included in jar, maybe waypoints file too ?
Bic0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Impossible Reply with quote

Ranger wrote:
For such phones map should be included in jar, maybe waypoints file too ?

AFAIK it is not possible write into existing JAR file - when the application is launched, application is being "extracted" to memory from the JAR. Consider signed application JARs - the signuature is calculated from the JAR content to ensure that it was not changed - If You would be able to change it this would not work.
Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible Reply with quote

Bic0 wrote:

AFAIK it is not possible write into existing JAR file - when the application is launched, application is being "extracted" to memory from the JAR. Consider signed application JARs - the signuature is calculated from the JAR content to ensure that it was not changed - If You would be able to change it this would not work.

So how you can use TrekBuddy on phones without filesystem support ?
(Kruch would have to support this group)

It doesn't matter how application works in phone, but how its file is created.
Now you can include map files in jar file, and this is only method to have large maps working on SE phones, without everytime confirming file access.
The same can be done for waypoint file when map is created, you can include it similar as map tiles. If you can read tile file, you can read waypoints file too (or any other map layer). Signing ? For what ? Not for this version.
Bic0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: My bad Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed the word "view" in Your previous post. I thought You want to save waypoints to jar Smile Of course reading works. But it will be read-only as it is not possible to create/modify files inside of JAR with the Java application.
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, Ranger, I'll do it. Thanks!
Bic0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Phones without FS support Reply with quote

Hello Kruch, maybe I've found a way how to save waypoints also on phones without FS support:

1) In the "JSR 135: Mobile Media API" there is a support for some kind of "database" - RecordStore. In fact it is a data storage containing multiple lines. You can easily emulate text file under this RecordStore - each of them is identified by name, so You can even name it as a file. e.g. waypoints.txt. It's quite easy to work with it - I've done it before.

2) I guess the files are being transfered via Blueooth OBEX as array of bytes. Therefore I think it should be no problem to send the data from RecordStore as a file to PC, or even load the waypoints via OBEX from PC and store them to RecordStore to work with it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: