• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HOWTO Maps and Atlases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
temptrekbuddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oziexplorer is probably the easiest way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Way simpler process to create atlas! Reply with quote

See following thread http://www.trekbuddy.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2884

Basically, you just match points on your scanned map to the corresponding points on a Google map - and then it does calibration and creates TB atlas with one click.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Creating maps Reply with quote

Some time ago I wrote a little Windows program to convert calibrations from one format to another (e.g TFW to MAP, JPR to GMI etc). With the demise of GPSTUNER’s calibrator I’ve enhanced it to work as map calibrator as well. Extending it to write TREKBUDDY tiles is fairly easy but I don’t have a Symbian phone! Would someone like to test it for me? This version is not on the website (www.the-thorns.org.uk) but I will email it to you. You could, for example scan a UK map, calibrate it with OS grid references and get TREKBUDDY tiles with a WGS84 .map; or a TIFF and TFW from http://www.libremap.org/data/ and get the same. The app will be free.

Email me john -at- the-thorns.org.uk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...further to the above, I wondered if there is a need to be able to rescale and/or crop a calibrated map whilst retaining the calibration. Functionality I could add if there is a demand.
LosWochos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: How to increase performance for atlas with large maps Reply with quote

I'm having a rather large atlas where the layer with the highest zoom level consists of two maps, each having about 600mb, tile size is 240x320.

On my Nokia 6303 (S40) loading one of the maps on the highest zoom level takes about 3-4mins and I'm wondering whether I can speed that up.

I thought about 2 possibilites and I would appreciate feedback or other ideas:

1.) split the layer into a large number of maps. According to a friend this should result in a faster loading time. However it seems to me that this would require a lot of work, since I would have to run OziMapTrans for each of the maps manually. Or is there any tool to split a map into multiple smaller maps (incl. .map-files)?

2.) create a tmi file. From what I read here this only makes sense in the context of TrekBuddyService, which is only for S60, right?

Thanks for your help,
Stefan
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ad 2) No - tmi is vital for map loading on all platforms!
yearling

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to increase performance for atlas with large maps Reply with quote

LosWochos wrote:
I'm having a rather large atlas where the layer with the highest zoom level consists of two maps, each having about 600mb, tile size is 240x320.

On my Nokia 6303 (S40) loading one of the maps on the highest zoom level takes about 3-4mins and I'm wondering whether I can speed that up.

I thought about 2 possibilites and I would appreciate feedback or other ideas:

1.) split the layer into a large number of maps. According to a friend this should result in a faster loading time. However it seems to me that this would require a lot of work, since I would have to run OziMapTrans for each of the maps manually. Or is there any tool to split a map into multiple smaller maps (incl. .map-files)?

2.) create a tmi file. From what I read here this only makes sense in the context of TrekBuddyService, which is only for S60, right?

Thanks for your help,
Stefan

How big (resolution) is one map? If it is bigger than aprox. 10000x10000px I recommend you split the layer into a large number of maps and use TMI files.
I use NOKIA 6233 (similar like 6303 but older) and 3 layer atlas 1.2GB - there is more than 10 maps in one layer (in 3th layer), one map has approx. 10000x10000px and use TMI files - starting TB and loading this atlas is faster than 10 sec, switching between layers in the highest zoom approx 2-3 sec.
viktor.ilijasic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to increase performance for atlas with large maps Reply with quote

yearling wrote:
I use NOKIA 6233 (similar like 6303 but older) and 3 layer atlas 1.2GB - there is more than 10 maps in one layer (in 3th layer), one map has approx. 10000x10000px and use TMI files - starting TB and loading this atlas is faster than 10 sec, switching between layers in the highest zoom approx 2-3 sec.

How big are your map files? How many kbytes and how many tiles?

Is it possible that 6303 is faster than N73?

On my N73 ME, loading maps is extremely slow... Sad

I force myself to make 10x10=100 tiles maps, anything over that takes too long for my taste to load.... I make maps with mobac, so tmi are there...

Viktor

kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... I use E60 (the same Symbian as in N73), my default map has 147 tiles / 3.6 MB. Map opens in 2-3 secs, scrolling speed comparable to unpacked map.

And yes, file I/O really is somewhat faster in S40 than in S60 Confused I guess there is more OS overhead in Symbian.

EDIT: E60, TB (with larger buffer for tmi reading), another map 140 MB, 20626 tiles, tmi size 800 kB, map opens in 5-6 secs, map scrolling accetpable...
LosWochos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help, I got an incredible performance boost with the tmi-files.

My maps are around 80k x 50k pixels and they take ca. 25sec to load, which is ok, maybe I'm gonna cut them down to 10k x 10k as suggested - if only OziMapTrans had a one-click-way to automatically split a source into multiple adjacent maps Sad

@kruch: It would be nice if you could add the tmi-files to the HowTo on top of this thread. In fact OziMapTrans generates the tmi-files, but in the first place I didn't know what they were and removed them.. Embarassed

Stefan
Carinobi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you add to the quick guide the ms-dos batch script to make .tar and .tmi autmatically from map and png?

It is explained here:
http://www.trekbuddy.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4386

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Redundancy? Reply with quote

Hi kruch,

in tared atlases all the .map files exist twice:
1) Inside main-(index)-tar
2) Inside the map's tar file

What's the reason for this redundant information?

In untared atlases there is no central index and all map-files exist only once - why this difference?
leslielee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know does altas support auto zoom?
billy06

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TB will auto zoom out but not in , if say you have 2 maps whole country at zoom 10 and city at zoom 15 if you go out of city map area TB will switch to country map

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Im from Bulgaria and I want to ask where I can find or create maps of Bulgaria or just Sofia. I read it can be done here: http://gm2tb.awokenmind.de/
but when I find the map of Bulgaria or Sofia and try to download it it tells me this: http://gm2tb.awokenmind.de/gm2tb_createTAR.php?latitude_e6=49849956&longitude_e6=10876464&zm=2197266&w=2000&h=2000&cc=us&min_priority=2&longeastraw=16.36962890625&longwestraw=5.38330078125&latnorthraw=53.38332836757156&latsouthraw=46.31658418182218&mapname=mapname. Is there any other ways of fast creating of maps rather than google maps. Or is there a side or topic with ready for using maps for trekbuddy and btw I'm with Samsung s5620 Monte. PLS post a reply... :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> English All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: