• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Feature Request: Rotate Map
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris_M

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Feature Request: Rotate Map Reply with quote

I tried out your application last days: I liked it a lot but discovered two things that should be implemented:
1. In GPS mode the map should rotate according to the driving direction.
2. If one misses a waypoint travelling along a route, it is very uncomfortable to choose the next waypoint. There should be an option to select the next nearest waypoint automatically or with one single button click.

Regards,
Chris
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. honestly, I'm not a big fan of such feature
2. "autoselect next wpt" will come soon
Chris_M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kruch wrote:
1. honestly, I'm not a big fan of such feature
2. "autoselect next wpt" will come soon

Why aren't you? There are some concurrent products of TB where this feature works nicely. Test it with these products Wink and you will see that it helps a lot when navigating along a route.

Last edited by Chris_M on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Danny_S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrUcH> Chci se Tě zeptat, jestli by bylo možné v TB ošetřit a bylo by to technicky také možné, že bych si zvolil polohu načtení mapy a Menu. Tj. zdali by bylo možné si vybrat v Menu, že bych chtěl Portrait nebo LandScape. To asi ne, vid?
Dost by se mi ho hodilo např. při delší cestě na východ či západ a nemusel si dávat hodně malé měřítko, bych viděl tvar celé trasy.
Např. pro mobily, co umí 240x320, tak u nich to celé obrátit na 320x240 a u mobilů, co jsou naopak jako třeba E61.
Rotace mapy je sice hezká, ale tohle by možná využilo více lidi. Smile

Teď mě také napadlo, jestli by šlo potom nějak ošetřit i načtení jiných CMS v případě otočení mapy o 90°.
Pro E61 už jsou CMS naširoko, tak by se daly použít i mobilů, co mají display na výšku a naopak pro E61, že by využila CMS vytvořené pro klas. mobily. Smile
Chris_M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny_S wrote:

KrUcH> Chci se Tě zeptat, jestli by bylo možné v TB ošetřit a bylo by to technicky také možné, že bych si zvolil polohu načtení mapy a Menu. Tj. zdali by bylo možné si vybrat v Menu, že bych chtěl Portrait nebo LandScape. To asi ne, vid?
Dost by se mi ho hodilo např. při delší cestě na východ či západ a nemusel si dávat hodně malé měřítko, bych viděl tvar celé trasy.
Např. pro mobily, co umí 240x320, tak u nich to celé obrátit na 320x240 a u mobilů, co jsou naopak jako třeba E61.
Rotace mapy je sice hezká, ale tohle by možná využilo více lidi. Smile

Teď mě také napadlo, jestli by šlo potom nějak ošetřit i načtení jiných CMS v případě otočení mapy o 90°.
Pro E61 už jsou CMS naširoko, tak by se daly použít i mobilů, co mají display na výšku a naopak pro E61, že by využila CMS vytvořené pro klas. mobily. Smile

And now the whole thing in english! Wink
Danny_S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To [Chris_M]:
KRUCH> I want you ask, if would be possible to in TB treat and it would be technically saam possible to, that the would elected position unloaded map and menu. I. e. whether would be possible to choose in menu, that the would wanted PORTRAIT or LANDSCAPE. It perhaps no, aspect?
Enough would me him threw e.g . at longer way eastwards or west and didn't have to arrange much small scale, to seen form whole trace.
E.g . for portable telephone, what can 240X320, so near they it whole convert to 320X240 and near portable telephone, what are on the contrary like possibly E61.
Rotation map is though nice, but this would perhaps availed more people.

Now so did I assaulted, if would go then somehow treat and unloaded by other CMS in the event of veer map about 90°.
To E61 already are CMS in width, so would put use and portable telephone, what have display on altitude respectively for E61, he should availed CMS created for ear. portable telephone.

I'm sorry, but my English is not good. Sad
Cactus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that random rotation would be difficult, but a 90 degree rotation would give a useful landscape display and shouldn't be too hard to implement. (maybe?)
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen and tried an app that does any-angle map rotation, and I find it rather annoying to look at such "movie". However, landscape mode - that is cool, and as Cactus says, should not be too complicated. Let me have a look at it...
sacha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landscape would be very nice.

Although rotation could also be useful.

fe, on a highway driving driving south, I have to turn my phone upside down so a quick peak at the screen is enough to orient myself. Confused
This way I've dropped my phone several times while driving... (totally my responsibility of course ) Laughing

Maybe only rotate (optionally of course) every 5° or x° to avoid 'movie-effect' ?
btw, on my k800i, the screen updates about every 1 sec. I would consider a rotating-movie-effect quite ... nice

If 'rotation' would be implemented; maybe a '3d-view'/'tilted cam' could be used. Although streetnames on maps would become hard to read in perspective; a tilted view allows to view roads and intersections ahead, without using screenspace to show the road-already-traveled.

btw, been playing (and mapmaking) for 2 months with trekbuddy almost daily, without any problems/bugs, on my se k800i
Wolverine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! Rotation in 90 degree steps. Can application use internal accelerometer to do this? On my SE K850i would be nice use autorotation...Smile
Holux M-1000c

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to rotate map, you can take a look at http://www.j2megps.com
They have source code for map rotation.
ico

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this thread didn't fall into history because I would also welcome the auto-rotation function.

I've been using TrekBuddy only for a few weeks now and I must confess that however great the application is for walking, it's hard to use for car navigation exactly because of lack of the map rotation.

The 3D tilted view would be harder to implement, the rotation should't be, IMO. (Maybe only the heap memory size of the handsets could be problem, I don't know...) Kruch, no offense, but if many people like the rotation, why not giving it to them? It would push your app to a level where it would become a real competition to paid software.

(And perhaps people here would even like to pay a small fee for such a featured app...)

Anyway, I love your application, it was a good companion on my recent trip to Sardegna. Many thanks for it.

Ičo
mi6t0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that would be a great function.
I think it will be better if the rotation occurs after we have past 2-3 or 5 meters in a direction, otherwise the map may rotate randomly for very little movements and this may be annoying. I hope you'll be able to integrate such a function soon.
meeuw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really cheap solution would be a 90 degrees rotation only. So:
- If you go mostly north - no rotation
- If you go mostly west - rotate 270 degrees
- If you go mostly south - rotate 180 degrees
- If you go mostly east - rotate 90 degrees
yip

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personnaly, I'm not a big fan of rotating maps (90 or any-angle).
for me, the North is always upwards, no matter which direction you go.
I guess you need to get used to it.

Besides that, it would be a nice feature to rotate map on demand (landscape mode). sometimes, maps are easier viewed in landscape mode rather than in portrait mode.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: