• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SXG75 special issues ... no change in 0.9.4 Reply with quote

hegi wrote:
first: The mapless close view "9" is really great. - It took to get used to the fact that north ist "top" and not "walking direction" (which would be a nice feature though) ... But it's really fab for geocaching !!!!

Once I find out how to do it, I may implement such behaviour Wink

hegi wrote:
If there is any way I can support the development / testing please let me know. I'm also happy to test on SXG75.

Sure you can! Wink
1) send me that .loc/.gpx file which fails to load (if you have sent it before then I apologize, I've lost the track of this issue)
2) I proposed temporary solution (and got no response): I could omit leading 0's and/or W/E-N/S indicators in OSD coordinates for SXG75 - what do you think?

hegi wrote:
... does it make any sense to try the X65 Version instead (since this is Siemens, too)?

It won't work.
ave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: SXG75 special issues ... no change in 0.9.4 Reply with quote

hegi wrote:
first: The mapless close view "9" is really great. - It took to get used to the fact that north ist "top" and not "walking direction" (which would be a nice feature though) ... But it's really fab for geocaching !!!!

This is something that I'd like to see as well, but I had no idea how to express it in english..

North oriented top is very hard to follow sometimes, you need to be constantly aware of the directions and while geocaching thats too much to ask at times.
hegi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: SXG75 special issues ... no change in 0.9.4 Reply with quote

Hi kruch,

kruch wrote:
hegi wrote:

OK. - I'm looking forward to that. - Though as it is, it is much better than anything else I've seen so far.

kruch wrote:
1) send me that .loc/.gpx file which fails to load (if you have sent it before then I apologize, I've lost the track of this issue)

I've put them in temporary web-storage, so that you and others may test:

Code:
http://home.teleos-web.de/suhegner/tb/aussi-lo.loc
http://home.teleos-web.de/suhegner/tb/gesch-flucht.loc
http://home.teleos-web.de/suhegner/tb/graeb-hf.loc
http://home.teleos-web.de/suhegner/tb/osnab-ba.loc
http://home.teleos-web.de/suhegner/tb/so-nah-und.loc

kruch wrote:
2) I proposed temporary solution (and got no response): I could omit leading 0's and/or W/E-N/S indicators in OSD coordinates for SXG75 - what do you think?

Hmmm. Not shure whether this will help that much. - So, there is no smaller font?
What about showing coordinates in two lines instead? - Or if you change the format for the two-line display in the way that you make it

Code:
N 123˚45.678     234˚
E 98˚76.543   12,3 km

Does this make sense?

thanks

Hegi.
Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: SXG75 special issues ... no change in 0.9.4 Reply with quote

kruch wrote:

If you are moving, you have current azimuth (course) from GPS, lets say AzM.
So what is the problem to assume, that this azimuth you see toward upper part of screen, typicaly this way you look at the display.
Next is to show second azimuth to wpt (AzW) in relation to movement azimuth (AzM) on screen.
This way I see where I go and should go, trying next to have both azimuths to be the same. Right ?
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SXG75 special issues ... no change in 0.9.4 Reply with quote

hegi wrote:
Hmmm. Not shure whether this will help that much. - So, there is no smaller font?
What about showing coordinates in two lines instead? - Or if you change the format for the two-line display in the way that you make it

Code:
N 123˚45.678     234˚
E 98˚76.543   12,3 km

Does this make sense?

The default font is the smallest one possible. Alternative 2-line solution may be a way to go...
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: SXG75 special issues ... no change in 0.9.4 Reply with quote

Ranger wrote:
If you are moving, you have current azimuth ...

fast enough I would add, you get azimuth from GPS you can count on; but when you are approaching cache, I suppose you're walking slowly...
ave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SXG75 special issues ... no change in 0.9.4 Reply with quote

kruch wrote:

Ranger wrote:

If you are moving, you have current azimuth (course) from GPS, lets say AzM.
So what is the problem to assume, that this azimuth you see toward upper part of screen, typicaly this way you look at the display.
Next is to show second azimuth to wpt (AzW) in relation to movement azimuth (AzM) on screen.
This way I see where I go and should go, trying next to have both azimuths to be the same. Right ?

Hi.

Then of course one'd have to do some trigonometric transformations and rotate the whole map geometry (waypoints and markers etc) but only the close range screen, not bitmaps.

But what about azimuths, can one assume linear 2d azimuth in small scale projection like this? Afterall earth is a sphere and you'd have to use spherical geometry for accurate results. Great circles and all that.

Also, how do you actually detect movement? Sometimes with bad constellation and/or bad reception you get mad hdop values and position is all over the place, hence the azimuth display would go crazy.

I propose that there should be some easy access key to toggle "north oriented mode" and "bearing oriented mode" and also optionally limit the bearing mode by some user settable HDOP value so the display wouldnt jump around in "bad weather".
Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my experience is different.
First. I just checked few NMEA logs from slow moving.
If $GPRMC ($GPVTG) status is A, value of course is correct even if speed for particular measurement is 0.0.
I think that we can ask geocachers to have more real logs.
Second. I don't think that any complicated counting is necessary.
Now in TB is implemented method to show course and wpt azimuth.
It is not so complicated to show substract of these two values.
This method is used for compass mode in many GPS devices or PDAs, vlkGPS as phone java app uses this method too.
I propose only to add course arrow on HPS veritcal line to show that course value is valid (status A) and not show this arrow if status is V.
BTW, I hear nothing about no fix problem on HPS. Shown values are average and TB remebers last state. If no fix too ?
I asked earlier to show provider status icons to see that fix is OK.

Ave, this proposal is for HPS mode only, discussion about earth distortion geometry have no sense for 500 m area. HDOP is completly not important for $GPRMC course value, only for horizontal position.
But if you could attach some NMEA logs from caching, this can help.
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are fine with course value when status is A, no matter what speed is, I'm fine with that too Wink I agree that for distances of hundreds of meters / few kilometers, spherical character of Earth may be ignored.

My experience (with LD-3W) is that when I do not move, with hdop 1-2, course is changing like crazy, when I start to move slowly, it takes 3-5 sec till it calms down...

Last night I was watching a friend of mine playing Ghost Recon, cool game, with cool navigation UI items, quite inspiring Cool
Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kruch wrote:
If you are fine with course value when status is A, no matter what speed is, I'm fine with that too Wink

My experience (with LD-3W) is that when I do not move, with hdop 1-2, course is changing like crazy, when I start to move slowly, it takes 3-5 sec till it calms down...

You are right. I have this value acceptable after 10 slow steps. Speed 0.0 doesn't mean that I'm not moving.
But if you don't ... Smile

Ranger
ave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger wrote:

But if you could attach some NMEA logs from caching, this can help.

Yes I can do that. I'll do some caching on my xmas vacation. What program are you using to analyze/visualize the raw nmea logs?
Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually GPSBabel to convert to gpx and next typical map tools to visualize.
Sometimes simple spreadsheet if I would check some values.
Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Word from TB 095b custom datums Reply with quote

For all waiting to have custom datums:
http://www.trekbuddy.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=967#967
Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Log from geocaching Reply with quote

Kruch,
Could you check attached NMEA log from geocaching (TB095b) ?
It is unclear why coordinates are so jumping. The same LL are for near 44 secs and next change a lot. Seems like not modified buffer written to file every 1 sec.

Edit: A larger part of log attached. It can be used with first test map I sent you, if you wish.
Near 50m log jumps are better visible (from slow smooth walk).
Did you use some filters or just set accuracy for log like in JSR-179 ?
For driving it works well, but for hiking ...
Maybe option to choose log precision can help.

Parowy_NMEA.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Parowy_NMEA.zip
 Filesize:  21.18 KB
 Downloaded:  163 Time(s)

Forest_NMEA.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Forest_NMEA.zip
 Filesize:  119.22 KB
 Downloaded:  180 Time(s)

kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see coords jumping in "Parowy" log... ?

BTW, NMEA log is a raw record of what's read from GPS, no filters applied... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Recycle Bin All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: