• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Notes for installation and geotagging with a BlackBerry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkh329

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Notes for installation and geotagging with a BlackBerry Reply with quote

Geotagging with a BlackBerry 8820

I compiled these brief notes because I found the installation and use of TrekBuddy on my 8820 confusing. They are neither complete, comprehensive, nor necessarily accurate. Use them at your own risk. Please feel free to correct or add to these notes. Thanks to Kruch for making this possible.

Geotagging allows you to imbed lat/long data in the EXIF or IPTC data of a digital photo. If your camera does not have GPS embedded then the simplest way to geotag photos is by matching the time stamp of the photos with the timestamps on a GPS track log (I use http://www.geosetter.de/en/). Carrying a separate GPS receiver when photographing does not make sense if you already have a GPS capable phone and, thanks to TrekBuddy, you don't have to.

To install TrekBuddy on your 8800 series download the *.cod file and the *.alx file. If the alx file does not download, copy the code that should appear into a text document and rename it with an *.alx extension. Using BlackBerry Desktop Manager load the alx file to install TrekBuddy.

Before playing with TrekBuddy, make sure you have mass storage mode enabled on your BB and connect it to your computer. Using “My Computer” open the “removable disk” that is your BB’s memory card and create a new folder called “trekbuddy”. Within this folder create folders with the names of: “maps”, “resources”, “sounds”, “tracks-nmea”, “tracks-gpx”, “ui-profiles”, and “wpts”. Note that if the removable disk is not appearing in “my computer,” the mass storage mode on you BB may not be enabled. In some cases (mine) it may be enabled but not working properly. Under Options>Media Card you can change the settings to “on” or “always prompt.” I found “always prompt” made my BB show up in “My Computer.”

Once you have set up the file structure on your BB you’re ready to explore TrekBuddy. Because I am using TrekBuddy solely for the logging feature I’m not going to attempt to explain, or understand, its powerful mapping features. Open the settings menu in TrekBuddy, go to “Location” and change the Tracklog to “ask” or “always” and ensure that it is set to GPX. I have found that I have to reset these settings every time I launch TrekBuddy.

Once you’re ready to create a log open TrekBuddy, check the settings, and click “start”. There have been forum posts that suggest TrekBuddy may not record logs correctly once out of satellite reception (i.e. indoors) so unless you hear otherwise, stop tracking before going inside. Once you have created a track log it may be found in the appropriate folder you created earlier on the BB.

Install and open Geosetter or whatever program you choose to use to geotag photos, import the GPX log file from the BB and follow the directions of your geotagging program!

Thanks!
kargurra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the write-up. This is exactly what I intend to use it for. I do have one question, though, after a few minutes, my blackberry goes into "standby", or essentially stops the application from communicating with my bluetooth GPS. I get the message "The TrekBuddy application requires Bluetooth to be enabled. Enable Bluetooth?"

How do you keep yours logging for longer than a few minutes? (I understand that you don't use bluetooth, but I assume yours will also go into that "standby" mode after a few minutes as well.)

(I have a BB 8130 on Verizon, with the latest firmware: 4.3.0.97)
tkh329

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I have not had my phone go into standby.... I just stick it in the holster, or my pocket, and go. No problems. I did an hour and a half on my bike the yesterday and recorded every bit of the track.... I wish I could help. Good luck.
obadz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Notes for installation and geotagging with a BlackBerry Reply with quote

tkh329 wrote:
Using “My Computer” open the “removable disk” that is your BB’s memory card and create a new folder called “trekbuddy”. Within this folder create folders with the names of: “maps”, “resources”, “sounds”, “tracks-nmea”, “tracks-gpx”, “ui-profiles”, and “wpts”.

Thanks for your attempt at documenting this. As far as I can tell, this is the first post where it is mentioned that the name of the folder should be "trekbuddy". Every other posts I've found refer to Settings->Basic->Data Dir which I do not have.

Unfortunately, I still get the dreaded "DataDir not found please fix" shpill. I'm running a curve on OS 4.5 and I've tried the last two versions of TrekBuddy (0.9.82a and 0.9.83). I've tried putting the folder in Blackberry/Trekbuddy, Blackberry/DataDir, Blackberry/Data Dir and Trekbuddy (directly on the root of the SD card) without success.

I did unplug the USB cable (since that seemed to be the problem for someone else).

I've spent hours on this and I'm getting a bit desperate Crying or Very sad

Does anyone know what to do? Has anyone with a similar config actually managed to get it to work and if so, what's the exact directory name/location?

This is the hierarchy I have on my SD card:

BlackBerry/trekbuddy
BlackBerry/trekbuddy/maps
BlackBerry/trekbuddy/resources
BlackBerry/trekbuddy/sounds
BlackBerry/trekbuddy/tracks-gpx
BlackBerry/trekbuddy/tracks-nmea
BlackBerry/trekbuddy/ui-profiles
BlackBerry/trekbuddy/wpts

Any help appreciated!
David-
obadz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using the versions of TrekBuddy for OS 4.1 by mistake. Upgraded to the versions for OS 4.2 and it's all better now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Maps will not load ?? Reply with quote

I have Trekbuddy loaded to my Blackberry Storm but when I try to select the TAR Map file, it does not load & I don't see it in the Trekbuddy Map folder. Any idears ?
RealGrouchy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this detailed writeup

I only just started my first track with TB, but a couple errata:

- On first run, it asks if you want to grant it trusted application status (answer yes, of course)
- When saving the settings, you need to click the menu and select "OK". (Clicking the 'exit' button will leave the section without prompting you to save.)
- I notice in the settings under "Basic", there is an option called "Data Dir" where you can set the directory. By default, it was "file:///SDCard/TrekBuddy/". Since I'd already created my directory, I changed this to "file:///SDCard/TrekBuddy/" (The folder name is likely case sensitive)
- I also noticed some settings at the bottom of the "location" section, "GPX dt (s) 60" and "GPX ds (m) -1". I presume the first one is how many seconds apart it takes readings? (I'm in a hurry right now otherwise I'd read the other forum documentation to confirm). I prefer 5 seconds apart personally.

I look forward to using this!

- RG>
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"GPX dt (s) 60" means that if you decide to record GPX tracklog, at least every 60 secs trackpoint will be recorded. TB saves a trackpoint (or a set of trackpoints) when a curve is detected. These dt /ds options just help to make sure that no major part of the track will be missed in the GPX log.
craixx

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geotagging is doing great with my BlackBerry 8820 and it has great features.
--. 5 Vs HTC One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> English All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: