• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.
Trekbuddy is on Github now

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TrekBuddy to use TomTom maps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArferMo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: TrekBuddy to use TomTom maps Reply with quote

Is it possible for TrekBuddy to read and use TomTom maps or is anyone working on this ?

If this was possible then its only a small step to complete navigation.
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? .. btw is anything known about TomTom maps format?

What I'm working on (a long-term task) is a support for Garmin (.IMG) maps, since there are some interesting IMG maps sources.
ArferMo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use TomTom Mobile on my P910i before it got smashed in a motorcycle accident last September and it was great both in the UK and once I even used it to go door to door in the French Alps.

I now have an LG KU990 Viewty and would like something similar but the LG only supports J2ME so something like TrekBuddy would be great especially if it could use a navigation maps like I am used to with the TomTom mobile. I have no experience with Garmin but I suspect they will be much the same. The other things that I would like are the PostCode facility as per TomTom mobile and the speed camera POI support also not much I know but plenty of time before the week end Smile

I have been working on some GPS code myself in J2ME before I found you application and was almost at the point of starting to have a look at the TomTom files to try to work out if I could make a call from J2ME myself.

Update: Just spent the last few hours looking at the encryption used in the TomTom maps and associated files, followed by a little research.... Result is that I have now decided that the maps are generally somewhat on the old side the encryption is basically an encoded node database with added fields for speed and road type (ie one way) and the effort required to turn it in to a more usable format is basically not worth the effort given the age of the available maps. I have therefore decided to focus my efforts on the source data which is also easier to update.
ogami_ito

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kruch wrote:
Why? .. btw is anything known about TomTom maps format?

What I'm working on (a long-term task) is a support for Garmin (.IMG) maps, since there are some interesting IMG maps sources.

Hi Kruch,

This would be awsome. No..not just awsome...it would really make your program into the best off-line small-device GPS map program "on the market". It would combine Ozi style raster maps with vector maps. Currently, on phone, I have only found this program: Vietnamese GPS (I think the link is this: http://vllp.sourceforge.net/vgps/html/index.php ....but I cannot access it right now). That program runs .mp files. But it does not load maps from phone memory or allow creation of atlases. There are of course there are several programs that use vector graphics for PocketPC plateform. If you can combine raster and vector, then you can get the best of both worlds.

BTW, please support .mp polish format!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Currently, on phone, I have only found this program: Vietnamese GPS (I think the link is this: http://vllp.sourceforge.net/vgps/html/index.php....but I cannot access it right now).

Vietnamese GPS is no longer hosted at sourceforge.net. Now, VGPS had its own domain at http://www.digitalmobilemap.com

We have just implemented a new feature "AutoRouting" for VGPS. Now, VGPS is fully support routable maps by using A* algorithm to search for shortest path between any two given points on the map.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> English All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: