• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Running on a SonyEricsson P1i - some improvement suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Running on a SonyEricsson P1i - some improvement suggestions Reply with quote

Hi Kruch

Fantastic tool, especially now since you started to provide a certificate for it as well. I am very happy about the tool, so do not take my suggestions below as complaints, but rather suggestions for improvements. As a user of a SonyEricsson P1i, and as GeoCacher, I have a few suggestions, and from forum I can see that you probably seen a few of these before:

Zoom
This is surely something I feel that a lot of users would appreciate. I can see that you suggest to use Atlas for this feature, and that you don't like rought ways to perform pixel doubling or 'halfing'. However, for me it would be great. Just providing three options would be great - 1:0.5, 1:1 and 1:2 would be very helpful. The reason for zooming out would be to get a better overview of multiple waypoints, and reason for zoomin in would be to be able to determine how close you are getting to a waypoint (especially for geocaching).

Displaying multiple standalone waypoints
The only way I find right now for this is to select a GPX with multiple waypoints and navigate with them as a route. However, this causes TrekBuddy to plot a messy route. When GeoCaching, it is possible to export multiple caches into a GPX. In this case, you can easily get an overivew of nearby caches. It would be nice if TrekBuddy supported the feature to select a GPX, and use the whole GPX to present single waypoints, but not as a route, and that you could select to NavigateTo one of the waypoints in this GPX, and then switch to another waypoint later.

Waypoint proximity
It would be great if it was possible to add a view in the HPS/CMS options to get a list of the distance to the different waypoints that you have selected in a route or as standalone waypoints (see above bullet about multiple waypoints). In this way, you can determine which may be the next closest waypoint.

Configurable buttons
As a user of a P1, I can scroll around using the touchscreen or the buttons. However, the keys * and #, 1, 3, 5, 9 needs to be accessed by using "Shift+button". This is a bit of a hazzle. It would be nice if TrekBuddy provided a way to allow the user to reconfigure the keyboard - like a buttonmapping option. When the application is maximized, I have no ability to use a "Menu" button - instead the menu is visible as a small icon on the display. The only way to access the menu is to eject the pen and click on the small icon. It would be great if this could also be a configurable option.

Menus
It would be nice if all pages and menues were accessible as graphical big menues. It would be more user-friendly to access the different options either you use a keypad, joystick or clicking (with greasy fingers) on the touchscreen. The 'settings' you dont access that often, so I do not miss them. But it would be nice if you could switch between these menues as panels instead of menues - mainmenu (to reach Waypoints, HPS, CMS, Switch maps/Atlases), Waypoint menus, HPS, CMS... And, of course, assign the mainmenu display to a key and possibly a clickable area on the touchscreen.

TrackLog start/stop/export options
This feature may also be tricky to implement, but would be great. If you searched the web, you probably found the open source tool "Trail Explorer". I've used that tool, and it is pretty cool. But, getting this feature in TrekBuddy would be VERY NEAT. Trail Explorer offers you to select when to start registration of a track/trail and when to stop it, and you can afterwards import and export that track. What I miss in TrekBuddy is the option to start a trail at any time once TrekBuddy can acquire a GPS signal, ability to import a trail and finally, a way to convert the trail to a KML file. TrailExplorer registers a trail Longitude/Latitude/Altitude and, offers the KML file to be directly opened with GoogleEarth.

That was my improvement suggestions. Guess it may be quite a few, but I hope you find them interesting!

Best regards
/Tomas (akas Tomten on this board as soon as I get a proper login)
temptrekbuddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Running on a SonyEricsson P1i - some improvement suggest Reply with quote

@Zoom
You can achieve the things you described by doubling the size of your current map in an image editor and then just changing the .map file (only map dimensions and doubling the proper point coords)

The same applies to 'halfing' but here you'd divide the image by 2.

Of course i know it's not as easy as you describe it but I'm not sure if the mobile phones could handle software zoomin or halfing. You have to remeber that Trekbuddy is supposed to run on low-end phones such as K750i

@Displaying multiple standalone waypoints
Cool thing, though i probably wouldn't use it.

@Waypoint proximity
cool

@TrackLog
you can stop and even pause writing to a tracklog.
as for kml - this can easily be done with other tools.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kruch and TempTrekbuddy

Thanks for your fast reply, TempTrekBuddy.

I explored the GoogleEarth GPX/LOC import support this evening, and it works, even if it does not plot out the track as nicely as the "Trail Explorer" KML-files does... So, there obviously seems to be some support for plotting the tracks in GoogleEarth...

I did not know that tracking could be manually started/stopped without starting/stopping navigation - I'll take a look again at the tool to figure that one out.

I used TrekBuddy on my K750i before, and I know TrekBuddy used some resources on it. It is a nice idea you present to do some manual scaling on the PC into multiple maps before loading them onto the device - that would be to generate a atlas with maps in many zoomlevels, right. Anyway, if TrekBuddy would have had scaling/zoom support that could be used (even if it becomes a slow process on a K750i and probably faster on a P1i) that would have been neat and easier method, since I use so many maps with the TrekBuddy now, and do not have a good way to rescale all maps into multiple zoomlevels..

I dont know about how TrekBuddy use the PNG-images, but once it reads them into internal memory, I assume it would not be an impossible mission to do scaling on them during import. One thing I would suspect could become a problem would be if memory on the device became full due to that the images becomes twice as large...

Displaying multiple waypoints... well, I would rather like to call them points... They could be either waypoints or points of interest. In this case, Geocaching places are points of interest. And it would surely be nice to load a GPX of a number of Geocaches, and get them all presented on a map, so that you could easily pick one close to your current location to start trecking towards. I guess more people than GeoCachers could use this feature - for instance, import a GPX with the country city centers, and you would be able to determine in the "Waypoint proximity list" how far it is to the different citycenters (and, would be neat, which direction they are in from current location)...

Thanks again for an awesome tool.

Best regards
/Tomas
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoom
The major concern is memory consumption. I'm not saying no to zoom-out - actually, I'm researching it, but I will very unlikely ever implement zoom-in. Of course, zoom is not a problem fom vector (IMG) maps Smile (work in progress Wink )

Multiple wpts aka ShowAsPOIs
In my TODO list.

Wpts proximity list
Cool.

Keys mapping
I feel your pain - I'm fighting with keys on M600i these days Confused ; a generic way (property file, probably) to allow users of extraordinary devices like P1i, Blackberries with QWERTY keyboard etc to remap keys is really a good thing to have.

Menus
I do not quite understand. Something different from current touchscreen mapping (as shown in User Guide)?

Track export
I was using custom xsl tranformation from GPX to KML instead of using gspbabel to have a track shown more nicely in Google Earth, but I stopped maintaining it...

Last edited by kruch on Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for google earth export check this:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
tomten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Kruch!

Appreciate you took time to look into my questions. Very Happy

Brs /Tomas
tomten

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About menus...

I looked into the manual before, and learnt about how to use "keypad" onscreen instead. That was smooth. The thing I was thinking would be cool would be to get a set of clickable menus, aside from the map... Something looking like the menus on any Navigator-program, like WayFinder or TomTom. Like clickable icons that you can scroll over and click on using the joystick, keypad or screen.

I made a quick sketch in powerpoint, to illustrate something to give you an idea of what I mean... Of course, it is probably hard to render such a menu on a device whos display resolution and proportions can take any value, but... I think it could probably be a valuable way of accessing the functions in TrekBuddy...

Brs /Tomas

mainmenu.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40 KB
 Viewed:  8744 Time(s)

mainmenu.jpg

kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPAM! Smile
trco

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kruch wrote:
SPAM! Smile

Why do I have a feeling that this feature will be implemented soon? Very Happy Very Happy

Looks very nice.
Navid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. On-screen navigation would be more than welcomed. With SE P1i, you practically don't have any navigation keys, so supported touch-screen would be perfect option for TB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: