• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NMEA-Rip & NMEA-Send : Capture GPS NMEA and send it back

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: NMEA-Rip & NMEA-Send : Capture GPS NMEA and send it back Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

NMEA-Rip and NMEA-Send are two little softs that I wrote to capture NMEA data from my bluetooth GPS on my computer and then use this recorded data to simulate the GPS with my computer and send back this data to TrekBuddy with the same precise timing that I received it from the GPS.

I made these softs just for the purpose to try to diagnose the randomly hangings of my phone while using TB. So these are experimental software, bla-bla-bla, use it at your own risks. Rolling Eyes Wink

Yet if you need to log the NMEA data from your GPS on your computer, or if you want to send NMEA data from your computer, or if you also experiment hangings of your phone while using TB and you want to help us to diagnose it, please feel free to use NMEA-Rip and NMEA-Send.

You will need a computer with a bluetooth adapter.

I will add a brief HOWTO in the next posts.

Cheers,
Nibbler.
Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice contribution to TB quality - special testing tools. Thanks a lot guy Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOWTO NMEA-Rip

NMEA-Rip is very basic and easy to use. The most difficult part is outside the scope of NMEA-Rip howto : detect the bluetooth devices and find the COM port associated with your GPS device.

Once you know the COM port where your GPS is attached on, you just have to enter it in the first edit field (the one that presently is set to COM15).

Then you click the [Start] button and NMEA-Rip will record the data from the port you entered. When you click on [Stop] button the data and the meta-data files will be saved on the folder where NMEA-Rip is located.

I don't know if the baudrate combobox has an effect when using bluetooth comport (personally I let it to 57600).

[x] the Show NMEA checkbox allows to display the data while capturing it ... but this will be slower and slower especially if you capture for a long time.

[x] the Record On the Fly checkbox will save the data on the disk on the fly. (this also is slower than capturing data in memory and then saving it on the disk when clicking [Stop] ... but it can be useful if you want to save a huge amount of data : several hours or several days ...)

All the changes take effect only when clicking on [Start] or [Stop] button.

The data will be saved it two different files yymmdd-hh:nn:ss-Data.data for the NMEA data and yymmdd-hh:nn:ss-Meta.meta for the meta-data (the precise timing when receiving the NMEA data).

Enjoy,
Nibbler.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOWTO NMEA-Send

NMEA-Send is just a little more complicated than NMEA-Rip.

You first have to create in windows an output COM port for the bluetooth adapter (out of scope of this howto).

Then you have to load the .meta file in the first tab with [Load Meta] button and then click [Meta -> Compact] and [Save Compact] buttons.

This will create a special meta-data file with the extension .send that will be used to send the NMEA data to TB.

Once created you'll also be able to load this .send file in the second tab using the [Load Compact] button.

Then in the third tab you must load your .data file using [Load Data] button, then set the output COM port of your bluetooth adapter and click the [Start] button.

NMEA-Send will send the data packets with the same timing that it received it when recorded by NMEA-Rip.

That's all folks,
Cheers,
Nibbler.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ranger, Very Happy

I'll maybe add some additional features if needed : a [Pause] button and so on ... but I think that in the actual state it should already help and allow to diagnose and reproduce under control the hangings.

@everyone : please do not hesitate to give feedback and suggestions. Rolling Eyes

Cheers,
Nibbler.
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I send ordinary nmea log (ie. without meta data) to the phone without using NMEA-Send?
Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You need phone tools to activate BT connection with provider and next use ie Hyperterminal (or any other utility) to copy log file to com port. Difference is that timing isn't controlled.
Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nibbler,
What you think about TB recorded NMEA log replay ?
In general, you can get timing info to send sentences from $GPGGA and $GPRMC; other lines can be send "between" this two times.
Can be usefull in some cases testing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ranger,

I'm a little busy these days, but I will try to add this feature in the next few days or so. This will add the possibility to send a NMEA log even if you don't have the metadata created by NMEA-Rip.

As for the testing unfortunately, I didn't had time either as my vacations passed and I won't use my GPS for several weeks or months now.

My K750i still hangs even with the latest TB releases. I read some other posts with similar hangings using K800i phones. I can't figure out if this is a SE hardware / firmware issue or a software threading issue in TB ...

(I would rather say a hardware / firmware issue, so it is quite demoralizing as there won't be any new firmware updates for the k750i).

I'm just puzzled why so many users have a k750i (even kruch) and doesn't experience the same hangings as some of the forum users (including myself).

Cheers,
Nibbler.
x2fer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody do test sending this file?.

When I send the file, the indicator of the state changes from blue to yellow, but it never becomes green. On having tried to stop, the phone is hanging.

070924-165625.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  070924-165625.rar
 Filesize:  133.35 KB
 Downloaded:  29 Time(s)

Nibbler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi x2fer,

Did you tried to send the file several times ?
Did your replay always hangs ?
Have you tried with other files ?
Are you sure you have correctly setup your bluetooth connection ?

I downloaded your file and replayed it. Although I also have a K750i which often have the same issue, I haven't encountered the issue this time while playing your file : the indicator got to green and the replay was ok !

I'm sorry to note that the issue with the yellow status indicator then the hanging seems to appear utterly randomly so we can't reproduce the hanging of the phone "under control" Crying or Very sad

I'm even more demoralized by the fact that despite that you have sent your phone to technical service twice you still have the bug !

So either the bug is in TB threading and there is still a hope to solve it, either the bug is in the firmware/hardware of some Sony Ericsson phones and the technical service can't fix them !

I just wonder if other users that doesn't have Sony Ericsson phones have encountered the same bug ?

Cheers,
Nibbler.
Nibbler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a precision ...

You can always reproduce the yellow indicator and the hanging at the end of the file if you don't click on the OK button of the NMEA-Send when it displays the "The End" dialog box.

I posted this a while ago :

guest wrote:
OK I have a procedure to hang TB. (It is quite far-fetched ... but it maybe will point some issue inside the code that could also happen in the real life Rolling Eyes )

Just save a little piece of NMEA data with NMEA-Rip (a few seconds, less than a minute). Then Playback the data with NMEA-Send.

TB will have the green provider status.

Then the playback reaches the end in NMEA-Send and displays a dialog box : "The End"... Do not click the OK button.

This way all the data was sent, the COM port is still opened, but there is no more data exchange between NMEA-Send and TB.

After a few seconds the provider status in TB will go to orange.

Wait still a few seconds and then go to menu and try to Stop the provider ... done ... TB will hang ...

OK as I've said this is not quite a real example as when clicking on OK button in NMEA-Send it will close the COM port and TB will be released ...

But that points out that if TB loses the communication with the BT device it won't be able to kill the COM port if the remote device doesn't also gracefully close the port ...

@kruch : maybe you should try to implement a method to kill the bluetooth connection and reopen it if the remote device doesn't close the port gracefully ?

Cheers,
Nibbler.
x2fer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you tried to send the file several times ?
Did your replay always hangs ?
Have you tried with other files ?

Yes, and all of them were giving the same error.

Quote:
Are you sure you have correctly setup your bluetooth connection ?

I´m not sure, yesterday it had installed the original drivers of the Bluetooth adapter (Zoom 4310B), and later I installed a new version.

With both drivers it was hanging the phone, and ... also the NMEA-Send program.

Now, I am trying with other PC, and have not installed the original drivers, only Windows XP drivers for Bluetooth devices, and I have achieved that TB works. XP was indicating to me that the Bluetooth adapter was using a port COM different from the real one ... they were displaced.

After 31 minutes sending NMEA data, I have this information in " Provider Status"
Code:
End of stream; restarts=5; syncs=2; mismatches=0; checksums=0

Confused When it stops sending information, observe as there remains the indicator of the connection of Bluetooth in the phone (not TrekBuddy Status Provider), before pulsating on " The end ".

A few days ago, I managed to hang the phone with the GPS antenna, with the same symptoms, walking on very narrow streets, and moving the GPS antenna continuously, so it was put inside a bag. I have not managed to reproduce it again.

Quote:
I'm even more demoralized by the fact that despite that you have sent your phone to technical service twice you still have the bug !

My terminal was changed by Sony-Ericsson ... two months later. The one that I have now is completely new.

Now, when it has been hung, the Java applications have kept on working, and TrekBuddy too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: