• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Samsung S5620 Monte
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vahillah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Re Reply with quote

johnbrown78 wrote:
Hello vahillah, Did you get any answer?If yes then Please let me know because I am also looking for the same answer.I bought it from http://www.prepaymania.co.uk/mobilephone/samsung-s5620-monte-black-unlocked.html and it is really doing very well.

hi john, yes tb runs very well on my monte. actually right now i am looking to convert garmin map so it can be use with tb. anyone can help me please.
mcurto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Samsung Monte s5620 Trekbuddy and GPS tips Reply with quote

Seems many people are having minor problems with Monte,either GPS or platform wise.I struggled myself with many of those for quite some time too and took me some time to figure most of them, truth be told it seems Samsung isnt too queen in iron out a few wrinkles in this OS although hardware wise is a very decent gadget considering the money is costs.
This is my attempt to try to make life easier for many people (as Samsung wont):

1.GPS setting

Most phones (a few exceptions on this) seem to come factory set for A-GPS. Theoretically seems a good idea as it is faster to get a faster GPS lock but in practice it can lead to operator surcharges as the few data packets have to be downloaded directly from operator (in my case Vodafone would be supl.vodafone.com) and CANT be downloaded with WIFI.If you dont have a data package or deny acess it will in most cases take forever (above 10min) to get a lock even in open sky.

The workaround is to use GPS+ (which will disable A-GPS) and retrieve the auxiliary GPS data trough any WI-FI conected to internet.
This setting is not present on phone is only available throught a "hidden menu", to acess it type in as a regular phone number:

*#4097*4097# (this one works for Monte,other samsung models vary so use google to find the one specific to your phone model)

DISCLAIMER: Note down your original settings before changing anything

1. "3 - User setting" -> "Assisted Method" change this to "GPS+" and save the settings.It will reboot phone automatically

2. enter same menu ( *#4097*4097#) and delete all cache in "6 -Delete GPS Data"

3. Strongly advice to reboot the phone only this time you have to do it manually.

4. Connect trought phone WI-FI to any acess point with internet acess.

5. On Phone menu (own OS menu) fo to: "Settings" > "Phone" > "GPS Settings" you should now see a new entry named "GPS+ settings". Enter that sub-menu.

6. Shutdown the "Autoimatic transfer" and in "Profiles" choiose the WI-FI where you are currently connected.

7. Use the "Transfer Data".You have to acept the disclaimer and it will then download the necessary auxiliary data (it has a expiricy date of 167h after wich you would need to repeat the download)

8. Try it on open sky using "Settings" > "Phone" > "GPS Settings" > "GPS Position", you should now get a lock in under 30sec.

2. Disabling virtual keyboard

Trust me,trekbuddy is much more useful in full screen mode.Unfortunately there's no easy way to do it using phone or trekbuddy menus.

The easiest way is to re-install trekkbuddy.Download the latest release and do a minor change to one of its files.That change you will have to do it by yourself.I wont go trought the all process because its already very well documented here:

http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php/topic,5403.0.html?PHPSESSID=a5ff9fbe0361be2ee7c743b6b2ea26a8

But while you are at it add this line (without quotes)after the ones mentioned above:

"MVM-Pause-Background: false"

It will keep Trekbuddy running in background (instead of pausing) if you receive a call.It should be done in conjunction with next step to remove permissions or else it wont work properly (notice the play icon instead of pause in trekbuddy start up icon)

3. Removing access permissions questions

If you have changed A-GPS to GPS+ the phone/trekbuddy wont ever try to connect to the internet or use data transfer so I can safely remove the annoying startup permissions questions.I also found out it helps to resume GPS tracking after a phone call as it seems there's no possibility of using GPS in background,althought if its a short call I can safely resume trekbuddy (maybe because you dont have to give it permission again to acess data)
This is a little bit complicated as it involves using other software (TKFE) but its also essential to have Trekbuddy running in background.
To enable TKFE on phone itself it will disable Kies but you can use same procedure to restore Kies (disabling TKFE).Here's how:

software: http://samsung-s5620.blogspot.com/p/tkfe.html
enable phone tkfe: http://sites.google.com/site/samsung5620/enabling-tkfe
conecting tkfe: http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=5404.0

deleting permissions file: http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php/topic,7148.0.html?PHPSESSID=c38337672261931fd24b7275e4ab3c07

Quote:
If you want to get rid of the annoying permissions checks with some games/apps without having to reinstall it using the TKFE method, you can get rid of them simply by using tkfe to delete the settings.bin file in the game/app's folder. Using TKFE, open users>mass>java>games>*name of game/app (eg opera)*>appdb and delete settings.bin.

4. Trekbuddy Settings I find work the best for me:

in Location:

Internal - disable "assisted GPS" (if you have done the above procedure to use GPS+ instead of A-GPS).
Power usage: LOW
Tracklog: ask (you will have a chance to chose to record or not your track)

in Desktop:

Easy zoom: layers (you will then be able to zoom in and out using "+" or "-" marks on the side od the screen.

in Navigation :

Route line - enable dotted
Rote line - disable POI icons (up to you but I rather use a cleaner line to follow)
Route line - chose a dark color (like dark blue) so it will be easier to distinguish from your current route

in Misc

lowmem I/O: on(find this usefull to have less crashes)
safe render: on
forced GC:on
power save:on
large atlases:on

Some things I couldnt work out,if you find it out let me know:

Cant dimm screen,would think when screen is locked it would automatically dimm after some time but it doesnt seem to work properly.It does dimm automatically however when phone goes in "low batery" mode.
I had this impression one of old versions,on the latest one it rightly assumes the settings from backlight duration of the phone itself.

Camera doesnt work when adding waypoints.Althought I recently found its not much of an issue if you add the "MVM-Pause-Background: false" and remove file permissions(see above in this post) as you will be able to leave trekbuddy to use phone camera and come back to regular trekbuddy operations without any issues.

"Lock phone" shortcut button shouldnt work when trekkbuddy is locked. (Endomondo-a diferent GPS app- does this, dont know if it would be too complicated to implement thought)

All in all its a very decent and capable application (the best java one I have seen thats sure) and I can not thank the author enough for putting his time in it for the benefit of us all.

BTW: If you want to use it as MP3 player at the same time its possible,only you need to start playing a playlist before opening trekbuddy and then choose "NO" when it asks you if you wanna stop it while you're opening trekbuddy (java app).
If you add the "MVM-Pause-Background: false" and remove file permissions (see above in this post)thought,you can leave trekbuddy and start new MP3/playlist and then resume trekbuddy as normal.

My 2 cents.

EDIT:I found later that to have aplication running in background in addition to adding that line to MANIFEST.MF you do have to delete permissions file "settings.bin".Without doing it I guess TB doesnt have permission to be run in background.
mcurto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

althought I have mine working,another possible (simpler) solution for enabling back-ground java on Monte and other Samsung users:

use Internals Master key secret code.

For Monte dial: *#3971258*#
if for some reason dont work try: *#7092463*# or google you model for "Internals Master Key" secret code.

Once you enter then navigate to:

4 Module settings -> 6 Java -> VM setting -> MVM user End key option
change value from "Pause only" to "Hide only"

hit save and it will reboot automatically.

To me it worked on java aplications I hadnt messed with MANIFEST or removed permissions.
tenelord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts mcurto! Thumb up
zedaspedras

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Trekbuddy Stopped working Reply with quote

I don't know what happened but TB stopped working in my old phone. It loads perfectly, loads maps and when i start it it beeps and the "led" blinks blue just for a split second and turns red imediately. I've tried everything but can't get it to start. Help anyone?
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the LED turns from blue to red, please check Info->Technical->Provider Error (and Provider Status). Error message may be there.
mat_the_swat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Data dir / phone memory Reply with quote

For anyone who doesn't have a memory card and want install some extra things (maps / atlases, themes / ui-profiles) on phone memory:

1. Install Trekbuddy application as usual...(download and run .jar file).
2. Set data dir to: file:///music/music/trekbuddy/ (see: Settings/Basic/Data Dir).

From now, you can copy files tho this direcotry by bluetooth (BT) or USB cable and TB will have access to them. This should fix "DataDir' not accessible - please fix it and restart" warning on TB start.

Note that music directory can be also visible in file manager as "sounds", so path maybe look as: sounds/music/trekbuddy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: