• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Samsung S3 mini stops receiving GPS data

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pvanas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Samsung S3 mini stops receiving GPS data Reply with quote

I'm a happy user of Trekbuddy already a long time now. First on Nokia 6600, then Blackberry 8520, now I have a Samsung S3 mini. Installation worked fine directly from playstore.
I have a problem that after 2-3km of walking (about half an hour), the device stops showing the right location. The location 'hangs'. The dot in the top right corner is still green. I can brows from map to compass and CMS, I can scroll the map, go to settings.
The 'Stop' doesn't work. Even the 'time' has stopped. I have to exit and restart.
I have tried both internal and bluetooth GPS.
Did anyone has the same issue. Keep alive was 0. Next time I go for a walk I will put it on 250, but as it also happens with internal gps ant the setting is not available there, I wonder if that would be the cause.
Does it have to do with power saving options?
All help welcome. Thanks.
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power saving option only affects vibrations. There might be something in the device log explaining why TB hangs. You can view the log with "aLogcat" application or from PC with "adb logcat" command (adb is tool in Android SDK).
Do you have vendor ROM or a custom one? What version of Android?
Dusted

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have this device and trekbuddy runs fine, try to update to the latest available firmware of the mobile.

On official Samgung firmware web you can download the latest:

http://www.sammobile.com/
pvanas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kruch,

I was finally able to retest again.
With 'powersaving' I meant the devices power savingn, not the one from TB.
It seems that the device looses the gps signal. However on the tracklog at the trackpoint before and after the 'outage' I find 9 or 10 satellites.
it always seem to happen when the screen is out, that why I was thinking about the gps device that goes asleep for powersaving.
I have added
-the logcat file
-A track (not the same moment of the logcat, but the same issue) where you can see that there are no trackpoints between 9:30 and 9:49. Somewhere, when I activate the screen again, the gps signal is found back, but it takes a whole lot of time.
-A screenshot with the map. I drawed manually on the screenshot the track we run in dashed purple). you can see that the track looses accuracy first and then gets lost completely. When I took the screenshots we were already 18 minutes further.
- A screenshot where you can see that the device clock is already 18 minutes further than the OSD clock.
Would there be a way to keep the gps signal 'alive'. I noticed that the battery of my device did surpricingly well, so I think that perhaps it was too good to be true. After 5 hours walk I still had 65%.
Thanks for investigating.
Philip

Screenshot 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.83 KB
 Viewed:  12961 Time(s)

Screenshot 2.jpg

Screenshot_2013-03-03-14-30-02.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.04 KB
 Viewed:  12961 Time(s)

Screenshot_2013-03-03-14-30-02.png

alogcat.2013-03-03-11-32-11+0100.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  alogcat.2013-03-03-11-32-11+0100.txt
 Filesize:  4.27 KB
 Downloaded:  1376 Time(s)

20130303-101716.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  20130303-101716.txt
 Filesize:  4.35 KB
 Downloaded:  462 Time(s)

kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you fine-tune what power saving option does? Is there something like "Turn off GPS when not used", or any other GPS-related suboption? (I've seen this in a discussion about Galaxy Tab)
pvanas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm new to Android. To my knowledge, I don't use any power saving setting voluntarily. I was just wondering whether the screen lock would cause some freeze of the gps. But if you're not aware, I don't think it will be the case.
In the mean time, I found more forums with gps issues on android. Often they are like mine: first week no problem, afterwards trouble. Example:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/q24Cq4sQAtc%5B1-25-false%5D
I think the solution will have to come from Google. As I had the same issues with the external gps, I think this must be a software issue. Now I have installed 'gps status', cleared the google maps cache (as proposed in some of the forums).
Just not sure if there aren't any settings on TB that could keep the gps 'awake'. Some settings, I don't understand:
-Location timings: it is 0
-'gpx dt (s): it is 60
I think (not sure) that if I keep the screen on that the gps keeps working.
I'll give it a try this evening (my battery is full now).
This weekend, I'll do a try with the external gps again as well. There I saw a settting 'keep alive', sounds promissing Smile.
Regards,
Philip
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm know very little about Android. I have Xperia Mini with Android 4.0 only for testing, and there is no power saving option. I've found some screenshots of power saving configuration for Samsung tablet and I thought Samsung phones could have it similar.
The issue can be Samsung specific, or a "feature" of newer Android, who knows...

- location timing 0 means that application should be notified whenever new location is available
- 'keep alive' is just for bluetooth GPS and it is rarely needed
tomoa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Samsung S3 mini stops receiving GPS data Reply with quote

pvanas wrote:
I'm a happy user of Trekbuddy already a long time now. First on Nokia 6600, then Blackberry 8520, now I have a Samsung S3 mini. Installation worked fine directly from playstore.
I have a problem that after 2-3km of walking (about half an hour), the device stops showing the right location. The location 'hangs'. The dot in the top right corner is still green. I can brows from map to compass and CMS, I can scroll the map, go to settings.
The 'Stop' doesn't work. Even the 'time' has stopped. I have to exit and restart.
I have tried both internal and bluetooth GPS.
Did anyone has the same issue. Keep alive was 0. Next time I go for a walk I will put it on 250, but as it also happens with internal gps ant the setting is not available there, I wonder if that would be the cause.
Does it have to do with power saving options?
All help welcome. Thanks.

I found program which keeps the gps alive even your device has a blank screen

ActiveGPS - GPS booster

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tisinadev.activegps

Now the GPS works all the time when you start service. After using the trekbuddy you have to stop service in this program, because GPS will be always on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: