• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Compas and sats for Samsung B2710
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boowoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Compas and sats for Samsung B2710 Reply with quote

Hello,

The Samsung B2710 have his own magnetic compas, and also, it can detect the number of sats (but not the strength), with his GPS function. Wink

- Is it possible for TrekBuddy to show a magnetic needle in compas mode like others phones ?

- Is it possible to see the number of sats in CMS mode ?

If not possible now, is there any chance to get solution for that one day ?... or it's technicaly not possible ? Crying or Very sad
boowoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the experts ?...
Is it a limit of my phone ?
No one can give me answers ? Crying or Very sad
Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.Not all phone features are available for Java apps.
Solution - minimize app and use build-in compass.
2.Not in all devices number of sats is avalable in Java.
If you see sats number on app screens (map/compass), probably it is possible on CMS too.
Solution - minimize app and use phone info, if available.
boowoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answers Ranger ... Clear now !
mash

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger wrote:
1.Not all phone features are available for Java apps.
Solution - minimize app and use build-in compass.

the compass interface is accessible from java on the b2710. there is some example code available on the samsung developer home page to demonstrate this feature for j2me applications. i think, only the adequate initialization of this device is missing in trekbuddys actual code.

Ranger wrote:
2.Not in all devices number of sats is avalable in Java.
If you see sats number on app screens (map/compass)

i don't see any workaround for java applications to get the number of sats and siganal quality.

but i think, it would very easy to implement a simple solution, to make the power saving behavior on the b2710 more user friendly. if you forget to long-press the "3" key and switch to continuous display, trekbuddy will stop recording your trek when the display gets dark. that's very annoying! it should not be so hard to eliminate the this manual mode change every time you start the application and set it automatically by some configuration option.
Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure ?
Probably some kind of calibration procedure should be implemented.
Is it worth to duplicate available in phone option ?
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen this working in any but android version of TB. For example calibration procedure for Nokia is so awkward that I managed to get it working for a very short time only once or twice.
You can check what Info->Technical->Details->Orientation says about the state of built-in compass...
mash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger wrote:
Is it worth to duplicate available in phone option ?

yes -- i think, it's a very important feature if you need a serious tool for orientation in alpine sports. it does not matter so much if use trekbuddy only on the road at fast speed, but if you need it for orientation in fog and snow for ski touring, it would be very helpful to have a working compass on the map display!

i know, it's a very complex job to implement all this features for different mobile phones. kruch is doing it very well! as long as trekbuddy is a closed source project it is very hard to help him on this way by solving issues for your own device. for example, to work around this annoying the power saving problems of the b2710 should be more or less trivial...
Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First - mostly I don't use TB on roads Smile
I still don't know why you couldn't use phone compass ?
Second - compass calibration is very hardware specific, no one standard for different devices/platforms. Today app is offered for few platforms and a lot of devices. There are few built-in specific options for B2710, but peoples expect more and more for this one model. App isn't designated for one B2710, but there are ie specific settings visible for other devices users. Should be next one ?
mash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger wrote:
First - mostly I don't use TB on roads Smile

sorry -- i don't want to offend anybody...

Ranger wrote:
I still don't know why you couldn't use phone compass?

do you like to operate this tiny keys of a traditional handy on a cold day in winter wearing cloves? Wink (...and really -- for me that's indeed the situation where i need this application at most. everything else i use only an a kind of training for serious use in the mountains.)
so it's really helpful to have most of the essential infos available without mode or application switches etc.

Ranger wrote:
Second - compass calibration is very hardware specific, no one standard for different devices/platforms.

yes, i know, it's a pain! Sad

Ranger wrote:
There are few built-in specific options for B2710, but peoples expect more and more for this one model. App isn't designated for one B2710, but there are ie specific settings visible for other devices users. Should be next one ?

well - trekbuddy and the samsung b2710 are a very well team. for android phones there are other good [open source] alternatives available, but in the j2me field trekbuddy is hard to excel. the b2710 on the other hand is a very rare example of an old fashioned mobile phone that still has some remarkable advantages (mechanical robustness, battery lifetime) over more actual smart phones. so it doesn't make me wonder, when people ask for good support of exactly this very combination for outdoor use. there are not so much good alternatives available.

i'm coming from a linux background -- that's why apemap unfortunately isnt't a useful alternative to me. but this open source socialization also implies, that i don't want to push any other developer in a rude way, i just want to give some open feedback and try to help other users by describing useful workarounds etc...

Last edited by mash on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
boowoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that B2710 is not the only phone ... and many people now use smart phones , etc ... etc ... Confused
For me, i just think that B2710 is a good alternative for people needing a device very strong for hard trekkings or water/air extrem sports with long life battery for several days. Sure, it's not alone, but they are no lot like it !
I've seen that TB run very well on this phone with some specific settings, and many people want to know if and how it can be enhanced ! Maybe some features can be used with many others models ?...

This forum is living and it's a good thing ! Very Happy
Thanks to Kruch for his great work . Very Happy
Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. This is wider question - how good is mobile to operate in winter conditions. Not B2710 specific.
App ie couldn't change hardware phone keys Wink
2. How other users operates compass in TB today (where possible) ?
It is just additional yellow needle on compass screen (not on the map). But it is possible to rotate device to true north and have device oriented (well if declination was used in device, means real ready values). So if you switch back to map screen (not moving device), map is oriented. Very classic model Smile
3. You can't use this model even with BT2710 ?
4. I don't think there are too many TB alternatives on Android Smile
For example apps have a lot of unneeded for me features, but just check how many of them can display traditional map in electronic form, ie on different screens in natural scale. No one easy Smile
5. App developers couldn't sometimes change device producers mind.
6. Feedback from TB users is very appreciated, I think.
7. Special B2710 version ? Smile
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to prefer discussion over experiments Wink

Has anyone tried to make NMEA log to see if sats info is available in B2710? If the file is empty or does not contain relevant NMEA sentences then there will be no sats info in TB.

And about compass, does Info->Technical->Orientation field show some message, a number or is empty?
boowoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kruch,

Number of sats is not very important.

Most important for me is magnetic compas !
Test : Info->Technical->Orientation : empty ! Bad news ? Sad
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No really, I forgot to tell you to switch to compass screen first. TB says "not calibrated". I tried built-in Compass application, calibration seems easy but TB still does not show the needle... Confused I'll check it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: