• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.
Trekbuddy is on Github now

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New tool for calibrating and cutting images into maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jens_munk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: New tool for calibrating and cutting images into maps Reply with quote

Please allow me to introduce an application I have made to calibrate images, cut them and save them as maps or into an atlas.

With such a wonderful mobile phone application and TrekBuddy, I really think it would be handy to have one PC application that would handle the entire process of calibrating images and cut them into maps and optionally manage those in an atlas. So far a couple of third party programs can be used for the calibration and some other programs for cutting. This program will do it all.

Please download the attachment and unzip it. It holds one executable, which is the application. Run it.

I hope the program is mostly self-explaining or I will be glad to assist. You can either post your question here or send them to the email in the about box.

The program is obviously still and beta and besides things that are "less than perfect" there are several things that I would like to add like tracks, way points, navigation and some documentation.

Thanks,

Jens.
jens_munk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New tool for calibrating and cutting images into maps Reply with quote

Here is the first update to the TBAtlasManager. In addition to various bug fixes, it can now also plot your recorded tracks on your maps.

Open your map and then File->Open Track ->navigate to your gpx track files and select one. It should now be shown on the calibrated map. Click on the Tracks menu to change the appearance of your displayed tracks. You can add multiple track, of course.

Next on my list is creating waypoints and tracks for navigation and a more logical settings of selected Atlas and folders

Also, your comments are much appreciated. Please let me know what your think as well as what you would like to see.

Thanks,

Jens.

Last edited by jens_munk on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigbadbob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jens.
I like your app, it's very simple to use. but have a problem when i enter my longitude, if i enter 5 degrees 57 minutes the app changes it to 4 degrees something. is there a limit to how far west it works?
I'm creating bitmaps from memory map and calibrating the bitmap.
cheers.
Bob.
jens_munk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for letting me know. I see that southern latitudes and western longitudes both had this problem. I have fixed this and will upload an update shortly.

Jens.

bigbadbob wrote:
Hi Jens.
I like your app, it's very simple to use. but have a problem when i enter my longitude, if i enter 5 degrees 57 minutes the app changes it to 4 degrees something. is there a limit to how far west it works?
I'm creating bitmaps from memory map and calibrating the bitmap.
cheers.
Bob.
jens_munk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

Here is the second update to the TBAtlasManager.

Southern latitudes and western longitudes were not entered correctly.

Also, your comments are much appreciated. Please let me know what your think as well as what you would like to see.

Thanks,

Jens.

Last edited by jens_munk on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigbadbob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jens. Cool much better now.

I still have some error in my calibration when i transfer the map to my phone but this is probably my error, looks like a datum error.
position is good on your app.

thanks for your help.
Bob.
jens_munk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome.

Zone 30V is northern Scotland. Is this the location you are trying to enter? So far as I can see, it is doing it correctly. Could you please let me know the coordinates you would like to enter and I will check it out again.

Thanks,

Jens.

bigbadbob wrote:
Thanks Jens. Cool much better now.

I still have some error in my calibration when i transfer the map to my phone but this is probably my error, looks like a datum error.
position is good on your app.

thanks for your help.
Bob.
bigbadbob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jens, the 30v is correct, so i deleted that bit of my post but i guess you saw it first. dunno why memory map says i'm in 30N but your app is right so no worries. Cool

I'm getting an error of about 700m on the phone but it's fine on the computer when i calibrate a bmp using your app. I've checked all datums etc are the same on phone and pc. the only thing i can see is different is the cms rotate on TB does not match the rotate on your app. but i can't set 3.34 degrees in seconds on tb.
my phone is samsung b2100 and i'm using leadtek bluetooth gps outputting nmea.
Even without the gps on, the cursor position has the error.
jens_munk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the "North Up" button? This should align it. If you send me your map files, I will be pleased to check it out. You should zip and send me the set and gmi files and the set folder. You can send them directly to this address:

j "dot" munk "at" maccor "dot" com

Thanks,

Jens.

Quote:
I'm getting an error of about 700m on the phone but it's fine on the computer when i calibrate a bmp using your app. I've checked all datums etc are the same on phone and pc. the only thing i can see is different is the cms rotate on TB does not match the rotate on your app. but i can't set 3.34 degrees in seconds on tb.
my phone is samsung b2100 and i'm using leadtek bluetooth gps outputting nmea.
Even without the gps on, the cursor position has the error.
bigbadbob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Jens, i will try calibrating with north up.
If that doesnt solve my problem i'll mail you the files.
what tile size do you need them to be in for your phone?
jens_munk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is that the gmi file format doesn't really deal with rotated maps, so if Rotating to North resolves your error I may just as well make it mandatory and automatic to avoid further confusions.

The tile size is not really critical as long as it is not way, way too big, since Trekbuddy takes care of it.

Jens.

bigbadbob wrote:
Thanks again Jens, i will try calibrating with north up.
If that doesnt solve my problem i'll mail you the files.
what tile size do you need them to be in for your phone?
bigbadbob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jens, when i calibrate without using north up the rotation is -3.29 degrees and the error is about 700m.
If i use the north up button, rotation is -13dgrees and error is several kilometers.
i will send you my map files, any comments you have on them would be appreciated as i think the error is mine.
positions plot fine on your app but not on TB. I'm confused.com
jens_munk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange!?

I will have a look at it as soon as I get your files.

Thanks,

Jens.

bigbadbob wrote:
Hi Jens, when i calibrate without using north up the rotation is -3.29 degrees and the error is about 700m.
If i use the north up button, rotation is -13dgrees and error is several kilometers.
i will send you my map files, any comments you have on them would be appreciated as i think the error is mine.
positions plot fine on your app but not on TB. I'm confused.com
bigbadbob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted now. Good Karma to Jens. a very helpfull guy.
jens_munk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

My program relies on GMI files and as noted, this support is not complete in TrekBuddy. One thing that is apparently not working is when the maps are not completely aligned to north pointing up. My first thought was that my program had a problem, but maps calibrated with MapCalibrator have the same problem.

So besides doing some corrections of the rotation in the program, I have also added a check so calibrated maps cannot be saved unless they are rotated properly.

Working with my own program revealed that the file management has its flaws, so it will be next on the agenda. However, the calibrated maps should now be correct - at least.

Let me know,

Jens.

TBMapAtlasManagerRevC.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TBMapAtlasManagerRevC.zip
 Filesize:  772.64 KB
 Downloaded:  124 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: