• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Nokia 6300 with large atlas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rezza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Nokia 6300 with large atlas Reply with quote

I finally managed to get my Nokia 6300 working with a 500 MB atlas from Yahoo Maps. I was getting out of memory errors when scrolling, when starting bluetooth, when loading waypoints. Almost any time. But it's been working fine for a week now!

I thought I'd share my experience to hopefully save someone else some pain.

In TrekBuddy settings (not all these settings may be required, but these work!)
(X = checked, O = unchecked):

X no sounds
X easyzoom with v...
EasyZoom = Layers

O Broken I/O
X Lowmem I/O
X Safe renderer
X forced GC
O power save
O 1-tile scroll
X large atlases

I don't think any of the other settings are relevant to my solution.

The EasyZoom settings are critical... using 7 and 9 to zoom is essential for usability.
Also, 1-tile scroll must be off for usability too... 1-tile scroll fixed some memory issues, but the maps were useless to me because the place I wanted to go was off the edge of the screen half the time.

The other critical settings are in Mobile Atlas Creator (use version 1.8.1 which still has access to lots of maps, don't use the 1.9 version with no maps!).

Go into Settings
set Map Size to 16384
Click OK.

Set Atlas Type to TrekBuddy Tared Atlas

Turn on Recreate/Adjust Map Tiles
set Width to 120
set Height to 160
set Tile Format to PNG 4-bit (I think JPEG also works, but uses a lot more RAM)

The last trick is to add each zoom level as a separate map layer so that 7 and 9 keys zoom in and out.
So, select your desired area, select one single zoom level, for example 8, under Atlas Content, set Name to Map08 and click add selection.
Then select a new area and zoom level (say 10), set Name to Map10 and click add selection.

You will finish up with a layer for each zoom level, and perhaps many maps inside each layer, each map 16384 pixels wide. But TrekBuddy will take care of selecting the correct map when you zoom with the 7 and 9 keys. If you choose a map manually, you had better hope you guess the right one, because it takes a long time to scroll across 20,000 pixels!

Using this technique, it's not really possible to have maps of the same area from different providers (say a Yahoo Map and a Google Earth map) in the same Atlas. Instead, I have an atlas for each map provider. This slows things down and is harder to use, but it's better than getting the dreaded invalid map, out of memory errors all the time.

The biggest map layer (zoom level) I have is about 40000 by 60000 pixels in 12 map tiles. And this works fine for me.

Picture 45.png
 Description:
MOBAC settings
 Filesize:  44.79 KB
 Viewed:  9287 Time(s)

Picture 45.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: