• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.
Trekbuddy is on Github now

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Exactly.
After such error phone does nothing; no reaction on keys pressed etc.
I need to turn power off/on to have phone operable.

Did you use SE phones development tools and device emulator ?
First you can test on emulator, next with device debugging.

Next result on testing:
- application doesn't read SMS-es (sending works). How this function should work ? You check message store continuously ?

And two thinks more:
- is this possible to have a start screen clean ? It's fine to have on first map tile cover page with map info. Unfortunately when the map is loaded both OSD and marker goes on. What you think about this ?
- what about waypoint icons ? I think that waypoints can be used to show many interesting type of places on the map.
And probably it can be practical to use different icons for such places.
dodo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger wrote:
Yes. Exactly.

Hi ranger. I have a w800i phone (very similar to k750i). I haven't yet noticed that problem (I took a few photos yesterday while tracking). Do you have the latest firmware for your phone? SE have fixed lots of bugs in the phone since first release. The latest firmware is much more stable (my brother's k750i used to crash every day, but since updating his firmware it hasn't missed a beat).

To Krucher:
Hi, thanks very much for your program. A few things I have noticed in my first couple of days:
- Timezone isn't remembered
- Occasionally I get a "invalid NMEA data" or some such message when I'm tracking, the track recording stops and I have to restart it manually. Is it possible to modify the program so that it will just try to restart automatically after receiving "bad" data? Or just ignore the bad data and continue anyway?
- The GMI files created by the latest version of MapCalibrator do not work ("Number format exception: Border and scale") unless you remove the last couple of lines "Border and scale" and some numbers on the last line.

Also:
- Yes, backlight control doesn't work, but that's a limitation of the phone (I have tried changing it using the J2ME functions myself and it doesn't change).

I use the software while riding my bike to track my journey, so it would be great if I didn't have to check every few minutes to see if its stopped recording...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodo wrote:

Also:
- Yes, backlight control doesn't work, but that's a limitation of the phone (I have tried changing it using the J2ME functions myself and it doesn't change).

It wasn't to me but ... you are wrong. Nav4All can control (on/off) backlight in my phone. Other way is to define profile for GPS.
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger wrote:
Yes. Exactly.

I'm still not sure what problem you speak of - loading waypoints or saving waypoint with picture? Smile

Ranger wrote:
Next result on testing:
- application doesn't read SMS-es (sending works). How this function should work ? You check message store continuously ?

Do you have the SMS reception enabled in the configuration?

dodo wrote:
- Timezone isn't remembered

Known issue with SE phones Sad

dodo wrote:
- Occasionally I get a "invalid NMEA data" or some such message when I'm tracking, the track recording stops and I have to restart it manually. Is it possible to modify the program so that it will just try to restart automatically after receiving "bad" data? Or just ignore the bad data and continue anyway?

Interesting - I've seen this "Invalid NMEA flow" just a few minutes ago while testing, for the first time ever Cool. Will be fixed in next release.

dodo wrote:
- The GMI files created by the latest version of MapCalibrator do not work ("Number format exception: Border and scale") unless you remove the last couple of lines "Border and scale" and some numbers on the last line.

I'll check and fix this - thanks!

dodo wrote:
Also:

Also known issue - will be fixed in next release. They say that for SE phones, one can use some magic with playing simple IMELODY (but it makes some weird sound in addition to turning backlight on), or call setLights periodically to keep backlight on...

dodo wrote:
I use the software while riding my bike to track my journey, so it would be great if I didn't have to check every few minutes to see if its stopped recording...

Unless there's serious problem, or a bug like "Invalid NMEA flow", or bluetooth connection fails, it should not. Anyway I could/should make the sound signaling end of tracking somehow more emphatic Smile

Thanks!
dodo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kruch wrote:
dodo wrote:
t;]- Timezone isn't remembered

Known issue with SE phones Sad

Just did a quick test on my phone, and TimeZone.getDefault() returns the correct time zone that I have set my phone for. Can you use that to get a default timezone?

kruch wrote:

Interesting - I've seen this "Invalid NMEA flow" just a few minutes ago while testing, for the first time ever Cool. Will be fixed in next release.

Excellent!

kruch wrote:

Also known issue - will be fixed in next release. They say that for SE phones, one can use some magic with playing simple IMELODY (but it makes some weird sound in addition to turning backlight on), or call setLights periodically to keep backlight on...

I'm not too fussed about that because having the backlight on uses a lot of power...

kruch wrote:

dodo wrote:

Unless there's serious problem, or a bug like "Invalid NMEA flow", or bluetooth connection fails, it should not. Anyway I could/should make the sound signaling end of tracking somehow more emphatic Smile

Pretty sure it was the Invalid NMEA flow errors that caused the failure. How about adding a vibration alert... Display.vibrate() ??

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kruch wrote:

I'm still not sure what problem you speak of - loading waypoints or saving waypoint with picture? Smile

Both. In this two situations effect is the same - Dead Phone.

kruch wrote:

Do you have the SMS reception enabled in the configuration?

Definitely - Yes. Very Happy
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodo wrote:

Just did a quick test on my phone, and TimeZone.getDefault() returns the correct time zone that I have set my phone for. Can you use that to get a default timezone?

Very Happy Of course!!! I'm so stupid... just tested on N6230i and S65, works ok! No need for explicit tz setting, I'll remove it from configuration.

dodo wrote:
How about adding a vibration alert... Display.vibrate() ??

Consider done!

Thanks!
Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodo wrote:

I'm not too fussed about that because having the backlight on uses a lot of power...

There are different needs for hiking. Default backlight is to short to look at the map. Perfect solution is to have possibilty to easy control backlight, like "push the button" for on/off.
Marek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: suggestions Reply with quote

Ahoj!

Nice work! I have tested it on Siemens E71, EL71, S75 and it is working fine with NOKIA LD-3W GPS module

1) First "nice to have" feature that could be added is to show (optional) the trajectory of motion on the map, to see the way of my trip.
2) Second nice to have is feature is already mentioned, to see the waypoints on the map.
3) Third feature could be, Calibrate map, where I choose the position on map and when I will be really on this position a press Calibrate and the current coordinates will be written to map file and used as calibration point. It could be used also for correct of map calibration.

Thanks
Marek
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger wrote:
There are different needs for hiking. Default backlight is to short to look at the map. Perfect solution is to have possibilty to easy control backlight, like "push the button" for on/off.

Agree. Backlight control is also important for geocaching.
Marek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: trekbuddy Reply with quote

Hi

I want to write some notes after longer usage of TrekBuddy.
So first I am using a version 0.9, Siemens E71 and Nokia LD-3W BT device, 1GB microSD card. I was on 3 longer trips and I found out some problems after longer usage. The recording was terminated after some reasons.

1) received bad NMEA data some times. Then the connection was broken. I had to reconnect it. User has to always control it to have a whole trip recorded. During the 10 hours trip I had 6 bad NMEA data events. The auto-reconnect or ignore bad NMEA data packet could help.

2) in one case after device was reconnected I thought that recording continue in good way bacause I saw a "R" and green icon. But I was excited when I found out (in home) that I do not have any records stored after this event... I do not know why ;(

3) In two cases (I was in mountains) I found the records, where the location jumped 5 km out of my way (for 3-4 record points) and sometimes jumped out around 100m. I had the static navigation turned off. There could be also improved algorithm to avoid such jumps. Or could be fine when user can select from the modes e.g. (Hiking, Bicycle, Car) and the software algorithm can eliminate such unreasonable jumps. For example when I am hiking, I cannot jump 100m away from my position in one second (with the exception of suicide) Smile.

It is nice program and I believe it will be even better after some bugs will be solved and new features will be added. The better packet handling and auto reconnect could be nice. Also displaying of the waypoints and track drawing.

Thank you for good work and nice program.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: trekbuddy Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Hi

I want to write some notes after longer usage of TrekBuddy.
So first I am using a version 0.9, Siemens E71 and Nokia LD-3W BT device, 1GB microSD card. I was on 3 longer trips and I found out some problems after longer usage. The recording was terminated after some reasons.

1) received bad NMEA data some times. Then the connection was broken. I had to reconnect it. User has to always control it to have a whole trip recorded. During the 10 hours trip I had 6 bad NMEA data events. The auto-reconnect or ignore bad NMEA data packet could help.

2) in one case after device was reconnected I thought that recording continue in good way bacause I saw a "R" and green icon. But I was excited when I found out (in home) that I do not have any records stored after this event... I do not know why ;(

3) In two cases (I was in mountains) I found the records, where the location jumped 5 km out of my way (for 3-4 record points) and sometimes jumped out around 100m. I had the static navigation turned off. There could be also improved algorithm to avoid such jumps. Or could be fine when user can select from the modes e.g. (Hiking, Bicycle, Car) and the software algorithm can eliminate such unreasonable jumps. For example when I am hiking, I cannot jump 100m away from my position in one second (with the exception of suicide) Smile.

It is nice program and I believe it will be even better after some bugs will be solved and new features will be added. The better packet handling and auto reconnect could be nice. Also displaying of the waypoints and track drawing.

Thank you for good work and nice program.

at 1) ... see sometimes the same things, maybe you could think about an solution so that less data are lost. split of trackfiles or .bak trackfiles could be another good thing (new file after xx min or xx points).

at 3) ... data correction is a good thing, but please make it only as an option. I dont like datacorrection onboard, because it use to much resources and it is better to have raw data, which could be corrected afterwards (at home).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo,

I like the UTM-coordinates. Unfortunately on my SXG75 the letters displaying the UTM-coordinates don't match the screen, so on the right side some digits are cut by the edge of the screen. Ist it possible to add an option to use a lower size for the display?

Greetings

Andreas
dodo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Solution to backlight problem on k750/w800 Reply with quote

Ranger wrote:

Solution for backlight control on newer SE phones:

I'm just writing another application myself, and I've found if you regularly call flashLights(1) then the backlight stays on permanently.

eg.
private com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl deviceControl;

In paint event for my canvas (which is called every few seconds to update a clock) I have:
deviceControl.flashLights(1);

The backlight then stays on. There seems to be no flashing of the display, it just stays on.

To turn the backlight off immediately:
deviceControl.setLights(0, 0);
kruch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution to backlight problem on k750/w800 Reply with quote

dodo wrote:
Solution for backlight control on newer SE phones:

I'm just writing another application myself, and I've found if you regularly call flashLights(1) then the backlight stays on permanently
¨

That's pretty cool trick!!! Thanks for sharing it!

BTW, what's a "newer SE phone" - K750/W800/etc, or even newer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Recycle Bin All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: