• internal / bluetooth / simulator GPS
  • offline raster maps
  • smart GPX / raw NMEA logs
  • waypoints and simple navigation
  • custom views
  • MIDP and Symbian phones
  • Blackberry
  • Android
Visit wiki to see all features, guides and howtos. Project tracker.
Trekbuddy is on Github now

Partners:    (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Compass mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) Galileos mapy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) CartoMedia      (Czech/Èesky)(Èesky) Eaglesoft trasy      (Polish/Polski)(Polski) ExpressMap     

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Changing layers changes position on map - Datum problem?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Changing layers changes position on map - Datum problem? Reply with quote

When I change layers the position on the new layer is out by many metres. If I have the GPS connected then once there is an update from the GPS the position corrects itself.

It looks like the magnitude of error you might get if initially using the wrong datum with the new map then using the right one as soon as the GPS info comes in.

I'm using OSGB36 with the UK national grid for my maps.

Example:

I point the map in one layer at UK grid reference TV 58001 05000

If I switch layers in TrekBuddy to another map using the UK national grid, the centre of the map is positioned at TV 57886 05058

Now...

TV 58001 05000 is latitude 49.92434366446 N, longitude 0.1998907250821 E in WGS84 (using a "6" parameter Helmert transform from the result of unprojecting the grid reference back to OSGB36)

If you project this latitude and longitude back to the grid using the BNG projection, without transforming it to back to OSGB36 first then it comes out as grid reference TV 57885 05074

This is really close to the TV 57886 05058 that TrekBuddy thinks the map centre is located at. (16.03 metres)

Much closer than the 128.8 metres that TrekBuddy is out by to start with.

The error when changing maps is in the same direction whether you increase or decrease the scale of the map - ie it's a consistent error.

Without the GPS running it means that you have to always fix the centre of the map after changing layers.

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrekBuddy Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: